Mercury 200 20hp wont accelerate in gear

sinbad40

Recruit
Hi there. I have put in a new fuel pump diaphragm and have seemed the carburettor. She idles okay but as soon as I put it in gear the engine dies. Any suggestions? I bought this engine secondhand so I am hoping is not a lemon. The engine has been standing for three years. Could it be a perished fuel pipe?

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Mercury 200 20hp wont accelerate in gear

I'm not sure what you mean by "seemed" the carburator. If it has sat up for 3 years, then most likely the carb us gummed up. It needs to be taken apart, thoroughly cleaned, blown out with compressed air, and reassembled with new gaskets, needle and seat.

Mercathode

Petty Officer 1st Class

Carbs dirty and maybe a bad stator!

Kanco

Cadet

Hello Sindbad,<br /><br />I just purchased a Mercury 20hp model 200 as well and I am in the process of tunning it up but have not been able to find anyone online that has the diaphram for my motor. Is your motor a 1976? If it is, can you tell me where you purchased your parts for the fuel pump?<br /><br />In regards to your question, I also agree that it is probably a clogged carburator that needs to be cleaned out. It really is not a hard thing to do...just make sure you have all the parts that you will need to put it back together on hand before you start.... cleaner, gaskets and tools. If you pull it apart and then have to set it aside for a while...chances are you might forget how it all goes back on when you finally work on it again :)