50 hp assembly questions

2slack

Recruit
hello,i have a 50 hp ser#6147886.i did not see a gasket that goes between lower unit and mid housing could somebody tell me what if anything i use here?also i have ordered the gaskets for power head and plate assembly do i use anything on these gaskets?thanks for any help,advice.any body know what year this would be.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 50 hp assembly questions

no gasket on the lower unit to mid section<br /> on the exhaust plate gaskets I would use perfect seal or OMC adhesive M.<br /> on the power head to adapter gasket I use perfect seal.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Welcome to iboats.<br /><br />What rodbolt said. But if the surfaces are clean and undamaged, gasket sealer isn't generally necessary when using new gaskets. The products he mentions are only available from a dealer and are excellent products. Few stock them for customers, but there are over-the-counter products that work well too. DON'T USE SILICONE!!!!!.<br /><br />Here's a nifty trick for motors that are taken apart from time to time (racing, etc.) Spray the gaskets with Anti-Corrosion Spray. It helps seal a little, but mostly it helps prevent the gasket from bonding to the metal to the point where you have to chisel the gasket off. Usually they comne off clean and can sometimes be reused if absolutely necessary.

2slack

Recruit

i want to thank you guys for the responce.i really appreciate the info.maybe one day i'll get to use this boat.