Nubee needs help!

Chum_Bucket

Recruit
I just bought my first boat as a adult, a 1985 Venture 15ft Bass boat with a 60hp Mariner for $750.00. Now for the problem, my friend works in a marina and he did a compression check on it. The top cylinder is 155, the middle one is 95 and the bottom is 145. He said it was most likley a bad ring and he could rebuild it for $850.00 at the most. After lurking here for a while I found out about decarbing the engine. I am going to do this tomorrow. My question is do I just decarb it and run it as is until it goes or is it worth fixing? Any suggestions would be helpful. Right now she runs good with maybe a little hestitation in the 2700-3200 rpm range. But this is very slight. Sorry for being so long.<br /><br /><br />Thanks Rob

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Nubee needs help!

Double-check the compression reading. If it is accurate, it is likely too far off for it to come back to life after a decarb. But a decarb is a good idea. Sure wont hurt. Get lots in there, and let it soak for a while.<br /><br />After that, run it through. If the compression doesn't recover you should then have it leak tested to determine the source of the leak & possible cause(s).<br /><br />You're sure to get some better advice on this forum, than I can give. Keep us posted.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> yep what AMD says. but most the time by the time the compression drops that much its blown. decarb wont fix any mechanical damage but wont cause further damage. if you run it much with a blown piston it will puke parts soon enough. <br /> 850 might cover all the parts for a rebuild but no labor. dont patch it or it will pop again. you also need to find and correct the cause of the failure.

Chum_Bucket

Recruit

Thanks for your help so far. I have a few more questions. The readings were taken cold (the engine has not been ran since Oct 29th) Could it just be a stuck ring? Would taking a reading with the engine warm make a diffrence at all? To my nubee mind metal expands when it gets warm so the compression should be better! Also I was on Ebay and found a complete powerhead for 250.00 would it be worth it to get that and replace mine (If compression and such check out) or just run it and when it goes get a newer motor?<br /><br />Thanks for all the help.<br />Rob

Chum_Bucket

Recruit

This is "Chum Bucket's" wife: He told me $600 was tops to fix the engine and you all $850. Please be honest in you reply because he is bound to "sugar-coat" what this "money-pit" really needs. Thanks for your help!

vetstudent

Seaman Apprentice

This is "Chum Bucket's" wife: ...he is bound to "sugar-coat" what this "money-pit" really needs."
:D <br /><br />Too funny!!!