Verado this thing is huge.

Kiekhaeferscurse

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all, I'm new on this forum and slightly out of date (havnet been to Merc school in 2 years) I recently came in contact with the new Verado at a dealership up here and was amazed I havent seen anything this big since the old 275 Cosworth.<br /> I must admit I'm kinda glad I'm not with a dealership anymore, I'm only 5 foot 6 and I dont think I good get the Hood of this monster by myself.<br />Anyhoos I'm wondering is anyone at iboats currently running one of these towers of powers (where have i heard that term before..hmmmm)<br />I figured by the time you repowered your boat with this engine your wallet is about 30k Lighter (i'm in Canada)<br />Would like all thoughts on this engine and the way the outboard world is going.<br />Thanks guys and this is a great forum and wonderfull Website.<br />P.S Iboats can you add a spell checker I'm spelling challenged.<br />.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
Re: Verado this thing is huge.

The paomnnehil pweor of the hmuan mnid. <br /><br />Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. <br /><br /><br />The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. <br />Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. <br /><br />Amzanig huh?

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

That don't make any sense Boatbuoy, and soitanly ain't true.<br /><br /><br />Kiekhaeferscurse, there hasn't been much talk of the Verado here in the general outboard forum other than of the hugeness. There is a Mercury forum where they may be up on the new stuff. Good luck... :)

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Those motors are too big for your typical trailer boat. They're also 200# heavier than your typical 2-stroke in that horsepower range. You'll find those mostly on big boats, offshore types. Anybody that has the jing to buy one certainly doesn't need to ask service questions on iboats, so you won't see much about them here. I doubt you'll see many around specifically because of the size and weight, not to mention the price. Grossly impractical motor! I hope Merc hasn't put all their eggs in the Verado basket. The market for them is pretty thin.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> I have seen a few about. there is a contender around here with 4 of them on the back and a fountain ( I think thats is what it is) with 3 of them.<br />I dont work on them but its coming. <br /> my experience with autos of past years is positive displacment pressureized induction does not last well and is very susceptible to debris.<br /> I hope it works well and is not another opti-pop.

C-RAVEN

Seaman

Hey fellow Victorian !<br />just had a look at the Verado on the web....<br />man what a huge chunk of motor.<br /><br />Looks like something off the "Alien" movie<br />bet it screams !

KCLOST

Commander

Mercury in my opinion is hurting itself somewhat by promoting this engine on the bass boats. It will take some time for the majority of new bass boats themselves to be designed properly to handle that heavy of a motor.<br /><br />Willy is correct...

Trophy23

Seaman

Awww, now you all are going to make me feel bad. I am having a 200 Verado put on my 2302 Trophy at the present time. Yes it is big, but not as big as the Honda's or Yamaha 4 strokes or the older Merc, made by Yamaha. It does weigh about 200 pounds more than a conventional 2 stroke but only about 100 pounds more than a Optimax/HPDI motor. Not wealthy at all. A 2 stroke of comparible HP was about 12000, Optimax about 13500 and the Verado 14800. After looking at the others, there was no comparison. I don't have to breath the fumes, mess with the oil and I do have Digital throttle and shift with hyd steering included. We are all going to be there some day and yes, the pocket book hurts, but hopefully the problems will be less with the 4 stroke. I'll keep ya posted on how it works in the Pacific this coming Spring/Summer fishing season. By the way,the upper cowling size is even smaller in dimensions than the Optimax that I saw.

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer

Not even two years ago, EVERYONE was stating "Why would anyone want a complicated four stroke, heavy, expensive, heavy, big, heavy.etc....". My statemnt to those people then, as it is now, is the following, "The only people who don't like the advantages and ease of use of a four stroke are those who have never run one!! " There are exceptions, if you just want flat-out top end speed and yes, some boats just may not be suitable for that "weight", but buy and large, most people want ease of use, low maintance and reliability!! Now eveyone, mostly, has seen the light. Now, on to the Verado. It is heavy, large and expensive!! No doubt!!! But, until you run one, you just won't underatand! Unless Merc has production problems, field problems or the economy goes down the drain, Merc has hit a home run!! The playing field is not level! The rest will have to catch up!! In my humble opinion!! That's my story and it's changing minute by minute!

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

No one seems to be able to make a 2006 EPA comliant outboard that doesn't weigh a lot more than a carbed 2-store. DFI, 4-stroke, doesn't matter. I think it is too bad that the days of the light outboard seem to be over. I hate I/O engines for many reasons but the handling characteristics of having all that weight so far back is one of them. Now outboards are going the same route.

Realgun

Commander

I would love to have a verado in a 90 Hp form. Would have the same power no matter the altitude. I live at 5400Ft and boat at 4200 to 7000 Ft.

Trophy23

Seaman

Thought I'd mention a little rumor I've heard that there is a project from Mercury to have a 4 cylinder design of the Verado and that it is due to come out some time around Feb. 2005. To me it sounds pretty likely since that would target a lot of boats that can't take as heavy a motor as the present Verado. So Realgun, you may be in luck. I think it would be a great idea too, expecially if they keep all the good stuff on like the Hyd Steering, supercharger and smartcraft ---- and a sales rep told me he heard they were. The octane of gas that is recommended for these is no less than 89 but the lower horsepower models can run on regular with a reduced top speed. I'll keep my premium 92 octane and feel better. After I run the Verado for a few months this spring/summer I'll post a satisfaction report in this forum. Not much here yet on Verado's except questions cause it's just too new. (by the way rigging also runs about 2-3 grand depending on what you get for smartcraft and gages.)

Kiekhaeferscurse

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all your thoughts on this motor guys, I've been away for a awhile & am amazed at all the responces.<br />ZooMbr I will check out that program thanks.<br />C-Raven fish off the water front? I fish out of Cheanna when I get the chance.<br />WillyBWright tending to agree with you.<br />Rodbolt looking forward to the first oil Changes does the guy own shares in Iraq?<br />Trophy23 didnt mean no disrespect to the engine your buying & I hope it works out for you.

Trophy23

Seaman

No offense was ever taken. I was just having some fun and enjoying the site; and kind of hoping to hear from someone who already has been running the Verado. My ole tired out Mariner 220 had to be replaced and I had started to go the Honda and Yamaha route until I saw the Verado. I actually decided to buy it due to the physical size being smaller than the Honda and Yamaha 225 four cycles. We are not talking weight which is more, but actual size side to side on upper cowling. I figure the Honda and Yamaha will come out with Nitrous or something to one up Merc eventually, but it's nice to see an American company take the lead again. I also hope Evinrude and Johnson will react with something positive too. Competition is good for all consumers.

walleyehed

Admiral

Trophy23, I assume you are going witha 275HP???<br />EDIT: Do as your dealer says, but our rep says 89 Oct. on all but the 275HP (I re-read and noticed you did say 200).<br />Our Texas rep said there have been some valve issues with high octane in the lower HP versions.

Kiekhaeferscurse

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Trophy23 can i have your old 220......lol, just kidding.<br />I like to see competion also I just hope the poor old consumer isnt paying to high a price for the products were seeing now a days.<br />I get phone calls everyday now from people wondering if I purchase boats with ruined engines. Joe Average it seems is having a hard time justifying the purchase of a new engine to repower that old Boat that his grandpa gave him.<br />I fear the small pleasure boat is beyond the price of the average family now, I think its a shame that some family's are giving up on the pleasures I had as a kid.<br />I'm rambling & getting way off topic Have a Merry Christmas & a safe and Happy New year all.

gss036

Commander

The truth does hurt sometimes. I talk to more and more people who are thinking about getting out of boating because of the prices on motors and boats and price of gas. I sometimes find it hard to go that extra 20-25 miles out in the islands when we are only allowed one Salmon most of the time. Makes for awful expensive fish. I used to fish a lot over your way, but kinda gave that up because of hassle from homeland security,Coast Guard and Customs, same on both side of the border. Now we are way off subject. Sorry about that.