20 hours to troubleshoot an 83 Merc 50 hp? C'mon

ZenBasser

Cadet
I need a reality check here guys. 7 weeks ago I dropped my motor at a marine shop with what I knew was an electrical problem -- also coupled with a need for a carb rebuild.<br /><br />They let it sit for 4 weeks and now, have replaced the switch box, the rectifier, and the trigger (even though the trigger "tested good"). Now they claim they have 20 hours in it and still don't know why it gives inconsistent spark. <br /><br />(No, I dont know if they looked at the stator and I haven't been able to ask if they isolated the boat from the motor and isolated out the kill switch)<br /><br />I meet with them tomorrow......am I nuts for thinking 20 hours is waaaaay too long to troubleshoot a problem like this?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 20 hours to troubleshoot an 83 Merc 50 hp? C'mon

for an intermittant spark problem on that motor 20 hours is way to much, from what they have replaced it seems they are trying the shotgun approach.<br /> good luck and keep posting

phatmanmike

Captain

i would dispute this with them as far as you can! <br /><br />that is WAYY too long. they are just throwing parts at the motor

ZenBasser

Cadet

thanks guys - I'll update you on what happens next....

dicktaber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well, down here labor is $70/hr...if some place wanted $1400 labor, plus parts, to NOT FIX a problem, I'd be a bit spun up. <br /><br />Either that or...I just figured out why I'm not rich yet. Please let us know how it turns out.

boltbreaker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

sounds like your getting "junk yarded"

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

20 hours is a bit excessive.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

20 hrs!!! Sounds sort of like sex but you never got kissed