How do you calculate deadrise at the transom?

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: How do you calculate deadrise at the transom?

jetfigaa.gif
<br />This is looking at the back of your boat.<br />Take A and B measurements (A is level if the boat is level). You can use any units you want (inches, cm, etc). Then divide A by B. Take that number and get the arctangent of it (tan-1 or inv tan on your calculator). Make sure your calculator is set to degrees rather than radians or gradients.<br /><br />For example, say A = 10" and B = 48":<br />With the windows calculator:<br />Click 'View->Scientific'<br />Click 'Degrees' radio button<br />Enter '10 / 48' <enter><br />(answer .208333)<br />Click checkbox 'Inv' (left side) and then the 'tan' Button.<br />(answer 11.76...)<br />So this boat has an 11.76, or roughly 12° deadrise.<br /><br />Any good?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Measuring and calculating will work, but using a protractor is a lot quicker and simpler.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

what seahorse says :) <br />and dont forget the transom angle. some boats, especially old wood skiffs, have an incorrect angle for most outboards:)

otterbfishin

Seaman Apprentice

Paul Moir,<br />Thank you very much for the deadrise formula. I have to admit that I've always been slightly intimidated by mathematics, so when I saw "Inv." and "Tan" part of my brain tried to turn off. I did force my way through, however, brought up the scientific calculator in Windows and proceeded with the calculations you described. I was amazed at the simplicity of the procedure, and now feel a little more confident with such calculations. The deadrise I was looking for in my hull was 5 degrees at the transom, so 'A'= 2.75" and 'B'= 30" (5.237 degrees deadrise).<br />Thanks again for your help,<br />otterbfishin