98' Mariner 150 OPTI

Weedy

Cadet
Does anyone have any info on the 98 OPTI Mariners. I have an chance at getting one for about 3000.00 with approx 40 hrs on it. It is going to be put on the computer to see if anything is wrong with it before I buy it. But any help would be much appreciated! This motor has been used only on proto hulls with a well known flats boat manufacter, I even ran the motor a few times when it was new. Thank you in advance for any help with this matter.<br />Weedy

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 98' Mariner 150 OPTI

hello<br /> I know of some that worked and some that failed. but in those years we nicknamed them opti-pops for a reason. good luck and keep posting

Weedy

Cadet

rodbolt, Ok, help me out here, where there any common problems that would give away a bad motor?? Any help would be great, or is it like rolling the dice?<br />Weedy

orca

Chief Petty Officer

G,Day weedy.<br />Merc had a few issues with these motors when they were first released, mainly problems with the ECU (computer) and injectors. these problems were mainly addressed with a couple of recalls that mercury had. Ask your dealer if the upgraded direct injectors have ben fitted. If allo adjustments have been made as per the bullitins you should have little trouble with your opti.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

roll the dice. the nickname was deserved. even with updates some did not live a long and happy life. by the 01 or 02 models most issues had been resolved. for the average boater I no longer reccomend direct injection. I hope the new generation of direct injection works better than the earlier. like Whaley says if all the updates have been done it may work ok. good luck and keep posting

Weedy

Cadet

Thanks alot guys, I really appreciate your time and help with this matter! I have a 95 Johnson 150 that is giving me alot of problems currently. I have always been a merc fan, I just don't want to spend the $$$ on a new one.<br />Much appreciated<br />Weedy

gss036

Commander

Personally, I think you would do better spending your money fixing up your existing motor. I just don't think you would be youself any favors.

Weedy

Cadet

gss036, if you don't mind explaining your comment about "not doing myself any favors.<br />Thanks<br />Weedy

KCLOST

Commander

What's the price? I'll take me chance on one, maybe... "being the at home mechanic that I am"...

22trophy

Seaman

My Bro-in-Law owned the 99 year twin 150 Opti's. This engine is a disaster! He replaced a total of 4 engines under Merc Warranty. Watch Out!!! Trouble!!! My Force 120 is 100 times more reliable than this engine. The only positve about this engine is that it's great on gas.

robert rhodes

Recruit

I have a 98 model 150 opti. had to take back to dealer a couple of times , went thru the factory updates, haven't had any problems since. it's been a great motor. it dosen't use any gas or oil. maybe i got a good one???????????