1997 60hp Mercury Problem - HELP !!

leinad44

Cadet
I just bought a 1997 Fisher Marsh Hawk 170 w/ a 1997 60hp Mercury. On the 60hp, the inlet line (I assume) is connected to the primer solenoid but off the engine, and I am unable to determine where it goes. It's about 10" long. I have to start w/ starter fluid. Which isn't good.<br /><br />The other side of the solenoid has a line coming off and "Y"ing and going to the lower intake manifold and over the top of the upper carb. The oil tank is in the way and I cannot see where it ends up. This seems strange to me how these run. So, I don't know if I'm right in my assumptions.<br /><br />I need to know where the loose line ties in. I haven't bought a book yet on this and want to go fishing tomorrow.<br /><br />Thanks

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1997 60hp Mercury Problem - HELP !!

the primer feed line goes on the fuel drain on the top carb.

leinad44

Cadet

Thanks laddiesservice,<br /><br />I think I know what happened. The guy I bought the boat from had the carburetors reworked, and who ever did it, put the drain bowl on the bottom carburetor. The top carb has the correct body because that's where the fuel ties in from the pump. <br /><br />That explains why the loose line I found off the primer wouldn't reach the bottom drain. It would reach the top if the drain were there. I can pull the carbs and exchange. <br /><br />The drain was plugged up with something. Evidently, the guy who reworked the carbs didn't want to correct his mistake and plugged the drain. Go figure.<br /><br />Can I reuse the gaskets if not torn?<br /><br />A question, this is a gravity flow then? The solenoid is just a valve, open/close, not a pump. <br /><br />But, how does it spray fuel in the throat, if there is no pressure?<br /><br />Does it matter which connection on the primer solenoid the fuel feed goes to?

leinad44

Cadet

I figured it out due to laddiesservice's post and a web page I found with diagrams. Corrected the bowls and it works like a dream. After thinking on this, the primer is pressurized by the squeeze bulb on the hose. I've only ever had older model OMC's with electric or manual chokes.