Over heated

Crazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 77 115hp Merc 6cyl , Today was my first day taking it out and after 5 min at about 2500 rpm the motor just stopped and was smoking bad , then it wouldn't even turn over ! The day before in my drive way with muffs on I Deep creaped the carbs and water was coming out the pee hole ... So today when I got home I put the muffs back on and water was coming out of the pee hole ... so I tried to start it ... it was cranking a little slow but then it fired right up so I ran it for 10 min . Do you guys think I hurt the motor ? Pulled the plugs and they where all good . is rebuilding the water pump a hard job ? This is my first out bord .

Laddies

Banned
Re: Over heated

muffs pressurize the water system and take the place of the pump lmp. with a good imp. it won't pee with muffs if thr motor is not running

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

do a compression test and visually inspect the cylinders for signs of scoring or scuffing. Pull the lower unit and examine the water pump.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Crazy, It is likely you seized number 1 and 3 pistons. The usually unseize themselves, but do damage to the rings, pistons and cylinders. After you repair the damage (usually new pistons and a boring of the cylinder)you still need to fix the problem that caused the overheat. The most likely candidates are no oil in gas, worn out water pump impeller and lean mixture caused by a dirty carb. So, put in a new waterpump impeller, clean the carbs and don't forget to mix the oil with the gas.

Crazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well guys I done a compression test today and this is what I got , I live a sea level 1}140 2}140 3}145 4}140 5}145 6}147 . is this with in spec ? motor still has a lot of carbin in it ... and I am going to do the Seafoam thing . So I'm going to get a water pump rebuild kit and try to do that

Crazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Took the lower end off and found that the impeller was shot ... 3 of the 6 arems where totaly gone !!! It was easy took like 10 min , will it take longer to put back on ? Hope not want to go for the pearch tommorrow or walleye .

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

Your compression readings are about as good as you can get with a less than new engine. Normally, if the difference between the highest and lowest is less than 10%, its fine.<br /><br />Your difference is 7lb. or about 5%. Lots of 1-2 year old engines aren't that good.<br /><br /><br />That sort of damage to the impeller implies that it was run without any water going into it at all. If they just normally wear out, you'll see the outside edge wear down sort of flat instead of rounded like the new one.<br /><br /><br />Two strokes are tougher than most folks give them credit for. You might put a extra bump of oil in for the next tank of gas, especially after running a gas treatment through it. That treatment washes all the oil deposits and 'goo' off all the crank. bearings just as well as it cleans the carbs. But it sounds like will get back to normal once you're done with the repair/tune up.