Removing Motor from Boat

davejohnson

Cadet
Sorry that this isn't a mechanical problem per se, but you guys seem to have the rigth answer for everything. I have to remove my 1978 Merc 900 inline 6 briefly to take the weight off of the transom for a structural repair. The thing looks cumbersome as heck. I do have access to a hoist, but I'll have to do it myself with no help. Any advice? Where best to wrap the straps, and is there any place I should not lift from? It looks like the two bolts on top, and two others on a bracket through the transom below. Is that all there is? What's with that short canvas strap underneath that's looped around the motor bracket? Thanks very much.

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: Removing Motor from Boat

get a "mercury lifting ring" from your dealer. it bolts to the flywheel! no substitute!!!!

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

When I removed my Merc 1250 I didn't have the lift ring, and was too impatient/cheap to order one, so I used a heavy duty ratchet strap that I had "borrowed" when I was in the military. I created a cradle around the base of the powerhead on the outside, had two lengths running up each side, and lengths ran around the upper portion of the cowling to keep the motor vertical. It would have wanted to flop as the inline sixes are top heavy. I ratcheted it from an overhead beam, and the entire event was a pain. I have since purchased an engine hoist, and when I have the need to remove my outboard again, I will fabricate a lift ring. If you want to fab a lift ring, you need to get the threaded steel pipe that will thread into the large center hole on the flywheel/driveshaft. cut it down to three inches or so, then get some rod that is at least 3/8 inch, and bend it to create a loop. Weld it to the pipe, and you have a merc lift ring. Or buy one off of Ebay for $40. Or, get two guys plus yourself and lift it off, it weighs around 250-ish pounds. Good luck....

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

My engine is not nearly as heavy as yours, but the method I used worked great. If you have strong friends (that you can trust), get one of them to lift gently on the keel fin with a floor jack (rubber cushion to avoid damage to keel). While the motor is lifted, have your other firnd help you support the weight and keep the motor from tipping. <br /><br />It sounds difficult, but worked great for me. I moved my motor from one boat to another wish ease (good floor jack rolled easily). It could just have easily been to mount it on a stand for storage.<br /><br />Out of curiosity, what is the thread size/pitch used on the factory flywheel lifting hole? Does it change size depending on year/make/model?

davejohnson

Cadet

Thanks to both of you for the replies. Jason, the motor in your small photo there looks exactly like mine. I'm just learning all things outboard here, as I only got the thing this past summer. It was a mess, and did not run, but lots of hours, a Clymer book, and tinkering whenever I can, I have it firing right up, and running well. I only paid to have the water pump serviced, as I'm not comfortable enough yet to take off that lower unit. Tomorrow, I'm gonna hit it with the Seafoam (as plenty of people in this forum testify to its greatness) and I'm hoping to really see some performance improvement. Any horrors you;ve encountered with this motor? thanks - Dave.