Submerged Engine. How bad is it??

Poidda

Cadet
OK, I'm expecting the worst, so hit me with it. Thanks to Hurricane Ivan, my brand new Saltwater Mercury 200, is now on the boottom of the canal in the Cayman Islands. Yes, saltwater. I'm trying to get it out asap, but seeing power and water for the island is a priority, I'm not sure when that will happen. <br /><br />So can someone tell me what to expect when i get the boat dry? How much repair work am i looking at?<br /><br />Cheers<br />Pete

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Submerged Engine. How bad is it??

as soon as its out have the motor compleatly dissasembled. make no attempt to start it. you can figgure all the electical will fail. if you attept to start it you will have a tossed rod due to sand inside the motor. you wont have much time and the damage may already be done.<br /> good luck and keep posting

Poidda

Cadet

so, how much of it will need replacing? are we talking major costs?

Merc805

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would hope it's covered by insurance ?<br />In that case it's not your problem.

Dick S

Seaman Apprentice

If you can get the motor up the sooner the better<br />even if you cant get the boat up. An if you cant<br />tear it down right away hose it off inside an out<br />an put it in a tank of fresh water. Keep the<br />motor under water till you can tear it down.<br />If its insured go for a new motor!

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

The procedure is covered in the manual and is along the lines of what the above member said, whilst submerged, the air can't get to the metal to speed up the rust.