Power loss at full throttle HELP!!!

gramkaran

Cadet
I recently purchased an 1984 40E Mariner. <br />The motor starts and idles great. At 3/4 throttle it gets to 5000rpm and run good, however when I increased to full throttle is boggs down. Yesterday I took it out after cleaning the carb with some Sea Foam, it ran the same. I decide to experiment while I was at the lake. I took the carb cover off and had my buddy drive the boat, when I sprayed Deep Creep Sea Foam into the bottom carb, nothing happened, then the top carb at full throttle it rev up to 5500 rmps with no problem and plained beautifully. Once that was burnt up it starting studdering and bogging down at full throttle.<br /><br />Any Suggestions?

ronmold

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Power loss at full throttle HELP!!!

Carb & fuel pump rebuild time.

gramkaran

Cadet

Thanks, DasBoot.. How do I find out if my motor has CDI... and What is CDI?

Clams Canino

Commander

It is CDI (capaciter discharge ignition)<br /><br />-W

gramkaran

Cadet

thanks Clams Canino. <br />I have fixed my problem. Yes you were right the main jet was clogged. I need to raise the idle speed a little... <br />Its a 40E Mariner 1984. What should the idle speed be set at?<br />Another thing I noticed is at WOT the tach says 5800, is that too high. Does this model have a rev limiter to shut the motor down. I am using a 12 pitch prop.