merc 4.5hp

E120B

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hey<br /> i got a old merc 4.5hp and it's been sitting a while.. im trying to get it going. but the pull start is on the engine cover!! how do i pull it over to check spark?? the serial # is 4599632 and it is a mercury 4.5hp longshaft any help is help full!

Merc805

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: merc 4.5hp

And.. You don't have the engine cover ?<br />Don't quite understand. You can use a cord and wrap it around the flywheel.

E120B

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have the cover but when i put it on i can't see the motor... and there is no spot to wrap a rope around it..

Merc805

Petty Officer 1st Class

I see what you mean.. This is a 1980 4.5 and when the cover is off.. <br />
inside-side.jpg
<br />I would start it with the cover on.. let it warm up.. then use a 14v cordless drill on the centre nut (one with a clutch to avoid broken wrist) a warm motor will kick over real easy.<br /><br />Suppose a push start would be difficult.. :D

E120B

Petty Officer 2nd Class

could i just use the drill to check spark?

Merc805

Petty Officer 1st Class

Take out both plugs to eliminate compression and it should work. You need to take them out to check spark anyway.

E120B

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it's only a single cylinder 4.5 hp<br /> how do i get the lower unit off... i took the one bolt out but it doesn't want to fall.. i have a seloc manual but it don't help very much

Merc805

Petty Officer 1st Class

There will be more than 1 bolt. Have a look here<br /><br /> http://www.dougrussell.com/partscatalog/collections/index.cfm?fuseaction=collectdetails&colid=01 <br /><br />You will find detailed diagrams.<br />After you get the 2 or 3 bolts out, you will need to use a rubber mallet or a hammer and block of softwood the whack the L/U off. It should have a S.Steel driveshaft and should eventually fall. Replace the impeller as a minimum requirement since you have the L.U off.<br />The drill and large socket should work with the plug out, the hard part will be finding a suitable drive 1/2" for the socket to the drill. You may have to make one.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Referring to photo posted by outbored:<br /><br />I think you could "rope start" it with the cover off. Use a broad strap instead of a rope - like a leather belt or broad nylon strap. If you wrap the strap around itself a couple of times, there will be enough friction to turn the engine, I'd wager. I started a snowmobile out in the middle of nowhere way back when with my belt, using this technique. Similar situation - no "notch" for a rope start. Give it a try and let us know.

accord_guy

Seaman

I have this same engine. You have to get it <br />started and carefully remove the cover. It's near<br />impossible to start with a rope or strap due to <br />the tight clearance around the flywheel. <br />Hint: You can use a harmonic balancer puller <br />to pull the flywheel. ($10 @ Pepboys). <br />A tip for removing the cover is to slowly lift<br />while moving the cover forward. I've been restoring a 1977 4.5 for about a month. It was a kicker motor for 10 years (barely used). Then it <br />hung on a stand for the following 17 years in a <br />barn. The wasp had made mud nests thru-out the <br />engine compartment and eaten the wiring. I have <br />about $200 in it. Check the wiring for the kill<br />switch if no spark. This is a great little motor and well worth the restore. If you can't get it running, piece it out on e-bay. The lower unit parts aren't available anymore and go for big bucks.

E120B

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well the i got it fired up. it doesnt seems to be pumping water but i blew out the tell-tale stream and it pumped for a few seconds, than stopped. how hot should this lil 4.5 get? it's getting hotter than my 50hp merc

Merc805

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't run it without a water flow, or it will get very hot.. then stop.. permanently.<br />What technique did you use for the pull start.

E120B

Petty Officer 2nd Class

once it was warn i could spin it with a clutched drill and it would start. it's not getting hot. it just a little bit warmer than i like. (I worked at a evinrude dealer for 8 weeks) im guna try cleaning the tell tale out. should water come from the exaust on this motor? some rude's it does and others it don't

E120B

Petty Officer 2nd Class

also is there a thermastat on this motor if so were is it. my seloc manual doesn't cover this motor very well

E120B

Petty Officer 2nd Class

there's only 2 bolts in the lower unit right?