Please help me interpret stator test results

myket1

Cadet
1992 90hsp Mariner<br /><br /><br />I just finished the recommended stator resistance tests from my tech manual. The blue and red wires on the switchbox from the stator were tested. I got a perfect reading from the red wire to ground test. However, I got no reading at all from the red and blue test. Does anyone know what this means?<br /><br />Thanks!

crashed

Cadet
Re: Please help me interpret stator test results

Just had a similar problem on my 80hp. No reading between red & blue means open circuit in the windings. My sympton was no spark and turned out these stators fail quite often from what I've been told. Replaced with a red stator kit and now works fine...

outboard tech

Seaman Apprentice

Testing stators by resistance is extremely unreliable; and unless you know how to interpret various readings under certain conditions is pretty much a waste of time. The charge coil windings are prone to break down with heat at about the age of your motor. The test is done properly with a peak reading volt meter with everything hooked up on the motor. Advise you replace both stator and switchbox if either is bad. Also critical to check the regulator (if equipped) if stator is bad because it will overheat the stator lighting coils, and eventually,cause the new stator to fail. Symtoms of a failed regulator include a tach not functioning.

myket1

Cadet

thanks to both of you. very valuable information. What do you mean by a "red" stator kit? Also, OUTBOARD, my tach is very tempermental. Where should I look to purchase these parts? Is there a site that you guys would recommend? don't want to sound like a newbie but i am. is it customary to buy from this site?<br /><br />thanks again guys,

Clams Canino

Commander

Gee, you forgot the trigger. Why not just replace **everything** with a wire? It's bound to fix it.<br /><br />-W<br /><br /><br />
Originally posted by outboard tech:<br /> Advise you replace both stator and switchbox if either is bad.

crashed

Cadet

I was told that due to various problems with the std Merc stator (condensation gets inside and corrodes it) that certain part numbers have been replaced with the 'red stator kit'.<br /><br />This is a modified stator with extra lamination to prevent the ingress of water, a replacement rectifier and a voltage regulator.<br /><br />The kit wasnt cheap though... £320 GBP.

outboard tech

Seaman Apprentice

Well Clams, those of us with experience know the likelyhood of a trigger failure (almost nil) and how to test them. We also know what surging voltages do to old switchboxes. Ya can spend some money and row home a few weeks after your repair, or you can spend the right amount of money and come home under power.

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by outboard tech:<br /> Well Clams, those of us with experience know the likelyhood of a trigger failure (almost nil) and how to test them. We also know what surging voltages do to old switchboxes. Ya can spend some money and row home a few weeks after your repair, or you can spend the right amount of money and come home under power.
How much does the switchbox, parts and labor add to the cost of an 82 115 merc OB that needs a stator I was quoted 180 dollars for the stator,not sure if it has a Regulator the tach still works.<br />Thanks in advance.

ronmold

Petty Officer 1st Class

Was that $180 installed? If so a great deal, if not, still not that bad. Check out my earlier post to this thread. You should be able to install it yourself but you need a flywheel puller - you could borrow mine!

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the offer, your in minnesota also I'm sure your on the water today, wish I was..<br /><br />Yes Supreme Marine quoted me 180, unfortunatly my boat is still at a boat shop "total nightmare and soon to be a new thread" and we have'nt been able to retrieve the boat yet. <br />Thanks again I really appreciate your input.

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by outboard tech:<br />. Ya can spend some money and row home a few weeks after your repair, or you can spend the right amount of money and come home under power.
Sounds like good advice to me 280 for the stator and switch from SEILER.COM and another 150 for the trigger and rectifier if needed....... :)

Trent

Captain

You can also buy aftermarket stator..And not spend the "big" money on the Red stator kit.<br /><br />Nothing wrong with SEILER.COM . But if you look around their are others that are cheaper.

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Trent, I hope thing's are drying up down there and all is well.<br />Can't wait to hit the Trent Jones Golf trail down your way..