Need practice docking your boat?

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need practice docking your boat?

I think my boat is easier to doc than the simulator.

rg33

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tend to agree. But, it is worth the try and it attempts to fine tune your touch.

OhioRiverPat

Recruit

It's much easier for me with a throttle in my right hand and a steering wheel in my left. LOL<br />It took me forever not to pile it into the dock.

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sheeesh!<br /><br />One little crash and the game's over!

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Holy cr@p. The sport boat thing is a bit outta control. I've never thrown my boat into uncontrollable high speed donuts while approaching the dock! Until today, of course. I'm dizzy...<br /><br />The big cruiser was MUCH easier to control, and in my mind significantly more realistic.<br /><br />Good finds!

phatmanmike

Captain

my boat is so ugly, i just let it smash againnst the dock! who cares !!!! HAHAHA

Surffx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

YESS!! WHO'S THE MAN??!! :cool: <br /><br />

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I piloted the USS Denver and it handled more predictably than either of these simulators.

rg33

Petty Officer 2nd Class

While, I also question the true to life actions of these simulators, they may give the boater learning to control his or her boat an idea on how to control their boat in tight circumstances. I do remember having to learn that you cannot just turn the wheel and expect the boat to react. :eek:

AJ168

Petty Officer 1st Class

What these simulators do teach is how to go s-l-o-w. <br />As long as you dock your boat slowly, if you hit anything it won't do any damage. With my boat, I bump it in and out of gear to go slow enough.

rg33

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by AJ168:<br /> What these simulators do teach is how to go s-l-o-w. <br />As long as you dock your boat slowly, if you hit anything it won't do any damage. With my boat, I bump it in and out of gear to go slow enough.
That's the idea ;)

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by AJ168:<br /> I bump it in and out of gear to go slow enough.
Yup!!

dtherrien

Petty Officer 1st Class

That simulator is no good....i all ways hit the docks harder that that!!!

trog100

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i used to come in at idle speed and use reverse as a last second brake.. i kinda gradually moved over to the bump it in and out of gear method.. i still hit things just not as hard.. he he..<br /><br />as for the simulator.. its fun but thats about all.. except praps to tell u that boats aint quite as easy to dock as none-boaters think.. he he<br /><br />trog

imported_scott_m

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sort of fun though - agree, need the twin screw version - I've graduated from bump the gears to docking at 1500 RPM. Makes for quite a show around the dock. Just better know your not going to hit something.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

In my experience boats all handle differently. Even boats that are similar in design are sometime significantly different to dock. The best way to become proficient handling a boat is to practice. There are some tricks which apply to all boats (use the wind or current to assist), but event these tricks need to be used in a unique fashion on different boats. For example, my 16 footer has a much greater turning radius than my 19 footer. My 19 footer always drifts "bow downwind", whereas similar boats drift sideways.