rightside steering?

jimmer4444

Seaman Apprentice
Afriend and I were trying to deide why boats are steered on the right side,,,Neither one of us could figure out why

sangerwaker

Commander
Re: rightside steering?

Not totally sure myself, but I think it's because of the controls. They are on the right gunnel typically. <br /><br />I've seen some boats that drive from the left, but all have had a hot foot (gas pedal) and a floor mounted gear shift.<br /><br />Hopefully someone with a more eaxcting answer will chime in. I'm curious now too.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Boat topic.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

It has to do with countering the torque of the right hand prop rotation supposedly. A very old theory that I'm sure was valid way back when.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

First rule of the road is keep to the right. Locomotives are controled from the right. Track side signals are placed on the right ( or overhead) so the engineer can see them. Maby so the capt. can see the channel markers ???? Damn what do I know? HEY, by the way. If i were boating in england, australia, japan, would i keep to the rt. or left when approaching another boat? regards fred

even125

Seaman

Hi Fred, OZ here, international rules apply, we just do it all upside down :D .<br /><br />Cheers evan

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

The International Association of Mariners And Dumb Old Rank Kaptains (I.AM.A.D.O.R.K.) back in 1943 got tired of everyone on the internet asking why all boats had the steering on the left....<br /><br />So they agreed to make the change....

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

As DHadley said, the engine / prop rotates clockwise. As the boat increases in speed the resistance of this rotation tends to creat a lean to the left (counter clockwise). The helm station on the right (weight of the person and the equipment) helps counter this listing. Obviously some boats are more prone to this than others and the pro design may have some influence, but once this started it became the norm.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Sorry for the double post!

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

My helm is on the left side of my center console.<br />I strive to be different ;)

Steamboat

Seaman

Also consider that by the nautical rules, the area that the captain of the vessel must be most aware of is from dead ahead to off the starboard (right quarter). If your approached from this direction, your the "give way" vessel and you better have an unobstructed view of that area. Just my thoughts on why the boats have right hand steering. For the Center Console boats, right or left side of the console doesn't matter as much since you should have an unobstructed view in any direction (also change in steering location is only a foot or two instead of the full width of the boat).

trog100

Senior Chief Petty Officer

boats in the UK have the helm on the left and we keep to the right.. on cars we have the wheel on the right and keep to the left..<br /><br />kind of odd really that both the UK and the US have their boats and cars the opposite way around.. our drive on the left is supposed to be about the abililty to draw your sword and have a slash at the other guy easier when he is on your right.. he he..<br /><br />my american made boat has its wheel on the right.. why is the wheel on the wrong side is a regular question..<br /><br />trog

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

It went both ways on boats in the 50s and 60s, and ended up on the right sight after that. Most of it was navigation purposes. I have never seen for sure that the prop torque reason was the reason for sure, as that theory doesn't account for the average boat use that has multiple people in the boat. If that theory was correct, there would be no seats on the left side of the boat. Either way, most controls can be configured for left or right hand drive anyway...

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

That torque theory was something I heard a lot of from "old timers" when I was growing up. It may or may not have been true, it was just an opinion. Obviously the hulls are way different than they are today. As are props and everything else.<br /><br />It may have been an opinion transfered over from the old inboard boats. As outboards got bigger the available rigging was all set up for right hand steering. <br /><br />It could be like the stock car guys when you ask them why they weave back and forth under caution. One guy says it cleans the tires. The next guy says he does it to keep the tires hot. The third guy says he does it because everybody else is doing it.

Stratocaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why are boats steered from the right hand side? Dumb question. Because that's where the steering wheel is. Sheesh.

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nah, it is so that you can steer with your right hand and reach into the cooler with your left...

watered down

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't know, I'm much better with the cooler on my right hand side...I can open the can better with my right.