Proper Engine Re-assembly

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer
I'm am doing maintanance on a 1987 85 HP Force engine that sat for several years. During disassembly I have found the fasteners surprisingly cooperative. Apparently they were coat with some sort of never seize compound. When I re-assemble the engine I want to use the same sort of compound to make future maintanance as easy. What should I use? I have some white anti-corrosive marine grease, is this suitable for reassembly?<br /><br />^

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Proper Engine Re-assembly

Chuck, Marine grease will do the job only for a short while. Therefore, I would use either permatex #2 (non hardening) or anti seize compound. I know the permatex will work well.

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks. I'll have to visit my friendly neighborhood NAPCO and get some Permatex.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> use the nickel/tin antiseize, I use perfect seal on the headbolts and head gaskets.

mattsaks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so you should put a coating on a headgasket when you assemble?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

"so you should put a coating on a headgasket when you assemble?"<br /><br />Some you do and some you don't as the sealer is part of the manufacturing process. Follow what is called for in the shop manual for your motor.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> I always use perfect seal on the head gasket<br /> to many times the so called heat activated sealant leaks. and surface cleanliness and flatness is the key:)

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

I am not tearing down the powerheaad. This engine has very little operating time on it but sat in storage for several years. I did remove the lower unit so I can R/R the water pump. I also removed the engine leg shrouds to remove debri. These are the fasteners that I want to coat before re-assembly. They looked like they were coated with white grease. However, last night I purchased the copper Pematex anti-seize. I see mention of nickel tin antiseize, I'll have to check the composition of what I bought.

KCLOST

Commander

That will probably work fine...<br /><br />I use some sort of anti-seize designed for steel to aluminum for head bolts for instance... You can find it at any hardware store... The stuff I use is silver in color...