850 Mercury

Bud S

Cadet
Well I finally got it started after replacing stator, trigger, and internal wiring harness. I noticed on the original harness the orange wire was spiced into 2 orange wires but CDI harness only had one. THe book says it should go a saftey switch but can not find it. the motor runs good but can not kill the motor unless I manual choke it. Any help is a appreciated.

Chucky P

Cadet
Re: 850 Mercury

I also have a 850. The saftey they are talking about is the thing that looks like a condenser.same side the fuel pump is on.this saftey keeps your motor from starting when tilted all the way up,Doesn't have anything to do with shutdown. Is your wireharness going to your controls ok. your motor can start and run without the bat.sounds to me like,the kill wire is broke or bad connection.

Bud S

Cadet

Im not to concerned a bout the safety start switch but where is the kill switch or wire loacted

ozarkjeep

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Bud S,<br /><br />sounds like all the same work I did to my own 1970 80HP engine.<br /><br />I started from scratch with the wiring, it was that bad.<br /><br />The ignition switch ( key) controls 12 volts to the switchbox ( red wire right above coil) if I remember correctly, when its hot it can run ( started with starter)<br /><br />when there isnt 12V there, it wont run.<br /><br />it sounds like your powering the ignition all the time, you need to wire it thru the switch.<br /><br />Hope it helps!

Bud S

Cadet

Im not to concerned a bout the safety start switch but where is the kill switch or wire loacted

ozarkjeep

Petty Officer 2nd Class

there isnt a "Kill wire"<br /><br />you make the ignition "live" by giving it 12Volts, you "kill" it by removing that 12 volts...

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Chucky P. That kill switch you are refering to isn't there to keep you from starting a tilted motor. It was put there to kill the ignition if the engine tilted high enough for the front of the gearcase to be above the bottom of the boat as would occurr if the engine struck a submerged object ans was kicked up. Killing the ignition would prevent the engine revs from skyrocketing and slamming back against the boat when the prop reentered the water.

Chucky P

Cadet

I stand corrected :( and take in all learning. what I was trying to say is that is not what hes looking for.I do know that if that motor is running it will not shut down if Cable Plug is removed.This tells me that (just like the mercury saftey that grounds out )That when you shut off the key it Grounds the system . Look for orange wire going to key sw. Out of key it should ground. What year is your motor. Chuck

Bud S

Cadet

MY motor is a 1977 Merc 850(85 hp), I think we've lost sight im trying to find out how to wire my boat motor so i can kill it.

ozarkjeep

Petty Officer 2nd Class

actually the mercury switch grounds the low voltage signal at the distributor , so it cant trigger the CDI box.<br /><br />the CDI box still is energized if the key is on at that point ( with the engine tilted)

Chucky P

Cadet

The orange wire going to your control box to key sw. then to ground. check to see if black wire coming for wire harness is grounded to motor. I dont know how to post pic.

Bud S

Cadet

I have the orange wire going to the switch box and the black is on the starter solenoid

Ben Konopacky

Petty Officer 1st Class

bud s; the black wire that goes to the start sol. and is also a grd.that goes to the key sw.on the remote cont.term.D. your orange wire from sw. box goes to the key sw. term E ,when the key is in the off position E & D make and this grounds (KILLS)the spark and the eng. dies... hope this helps.

Bud S

Cadet

Thanks for the help everyone I have it figured out now