before 1984, merc 20 HP thunderbolt no top end

Jaz71085

Recruit
I got this boat from my grandfather from wisconsin, an 8' Aqua Lark, with a merc 20 on the back. I have it running, and with low, or little resistance, i can get high RPM's. I set the timing to about 28 degrees BTDC, the (Clymer) manual says 33. We took it out, and cant get any more than 1/4-1/3 throttle. I have rebuilt the carb, but that still isnt ruled out as the problem. Is this a fuel problem or is it a spark problem, like one of the coils or something. I have a tachometer also, but it is not hooked up, i have looked in the clymers but it does not show a hook-up for a tach, If someone knows where that is, that would help too. <br />Thanks<br />Jason

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: before 1984, merc 20 HP thunderbolt no top end

Hi Jason,<br /> It's easy enough to check if it's dropping a cylinder - pull one of the plug wires and restart the motor. If it starts and runs in the same manner that it did before, then it's likely it wasn't running on the one you pulled off. If it doesn't start, then you know it's not running on that one.<br /> Could be a cracked coil, bad powerpack, etc. Narrow it down and go from there....<br />- Scott