Trim pin locks hooks

Gazz

Recruit
I have a 1986 90HP Merc that is doing something that I can't seem to figure out. The hooks that grab onto the trim adjustment pin (no power trim) will not release when the motor is in gear. I pulled the lower end off and the cam looks fine. I put it all back together and found that if I tilt the motor by pulling the pin, the hooks move freely. Not so when when the weight of the engine is bearing against the pin. The spring looks good and seems to work properly. I found out about this problem when I hit a rock (going very slow since I knew I shouldn't be in that part of the river) and noticed that the motor didn't slip over - the whole boat shuddered a bit. When I took it out of the water to trailer it, I found that it wouldn't release. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks for any thoughts. I hope I can get this fixed before summer ends!

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Trim pin locks hooks

Had the same problem with my 1980 50. You will need to free up the hooks and lubricate the cam. You may need to get the grinder out on the leading egde of the hooks. Sounds like they are biting in the the lock bar. Have someone enage forward while you check the hook mechanism. I think a bit of pursuasion and lubrication will do the trick. It is a very mechanical system and needs to move freely.

Gazz

Recruit

Thanks for the tip. I think that would work but, I can't help but wonder what changed to make them suddenly malfunction. None of the parts look bent or worn. <br />Someone has suggested that the block of wood I slip in between the motor and the mount when I trailer the boat may have something to do with it. Seems reasonable but I haven't been able to figure it out what it nay have done.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Don't quite follow the "Block of wood" concept, however, if you are creating leverage between the bracket and the motor during transit, it may have worn the pivoting section and created a bit of play. This could make the hooks bind on the lock bar. I would get the the old grinder out...

emckelvy

Commander

The whole assy may be out of tolerance. There is an adjustment on the locking rod that you can make.<br /><br />If you have an all-plastic shift cam, maybe replace it with the later all-steel cam, or the plastic one with a steel insert. It's also possible that the end of the rod that bears upon the cam is a bit worn, adjusting the rod may help.<br /><br />HTH.....ed

dav6700

Recruit

Am I correct to assume that those hooks lock to the pin in reverse gear only. I have a 1976 mercury 65 that I bought for $40.00 it is missing this pin that ya'll are talking about. I could not get it out of gear to test fire the engine until I discoverd that those hooks and the gear unit have a relationship to each other. Is it changing gears that these hooks engage or disengage.

kelwendee

Seaman Apprentice

on my 1960 45hp 400el it has the same set up and only locks as decribed in reverse. so motor dosent pop up on hard reverse and will allow a little bump in forward if ya hit something under water like submerged log or rock.<br />And I too used to put a block of wood in there where the reverse mech. is, Because my latch that holds the motor up while traveling on trailer pops out and motor drops. so put the wood in so the motor dosent hit on bad drive ways. however instead I have been taking out that little rod and putting it in the extrem outer holes and seems to be enough lift for most driveways. just got to remenber to put it back at launch. I also throw it in reverse so that it dose lock while traveling.<br /> so if you hit some major holes you may have bent those hooks. mine seem to be pretty thick and hard to bend but i quit useing the block just cause of that thought. <br />goood luck

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

The reverse lock also engages in neutral. The only position that they unlock is forward. The bar does not affect the gear selection. In conjunction with the hooks, it only prevents the motor for lifting out of the water while reversing.