Oil and fuel

Jzervos

Cadet
I am sure this question has been posted in the past, but I am fairly new. Does the brand of oil really make a difference? I have a 92'hp Johnson Outboard, two stroke, that I recently converted from VRO to a self-mix. I heard that I should only use OMC brand oil, as of now, I use a generic brand. The oil looks the same as a higher priced oil, but costs less. Any help would be appreciated. I will be using the boat throughout the winter, but not as often. Should I treat the fuel, or use any type of stabilizer.

Realgun

Commander
Re: Oil and fuel

It depends on whom you ask. Personally I like to be sure that the oil is rated to TC-3 this is the standard for 2 cycle oil in outboards. There is a difference in the oils some have more magic than others. Magic:packages of components to prevent rust help lubricate better, disbuse better in fuel etc.<br />However all oil that meets TC-3 standards should be fine. You should never go wrong buying the specific oil that goes with your engine however, you might spend more for the same protection.<br /><br />As to weather or not to add a stabilizer. You should, just to be sure you are not causeing a gumming or degradation in the fuel even if you are using it every week or three.

LubeDude

Admiral

Realgun has it right, I personally do not use a stablizer, but I do not tell others not to as it certainly will not hurt anything. I do however pump my bulb every month while stored to keep fuel in the carbs so they do not dry out. If I stored my boat somewhere other than my house I might reconcider this practice.<br /><br />Ive got into trouble saying this before, but the TC-W3 rating is only a "minimum standard" and all TC-W3 oils are not the same. Any TC-W3 oil will be fine in your engine, but there are better oils. I like synthetics, they are just flat out cleaner, some say there off season protection isnt as good, I disagree. This may have been an issue with some in the past, but I do not beleive it to be an issue anymore.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, John.<br /><br />Go to Engine FAQs and read about outboard oil.<br /><br />If that doesn't keep you busy for a while, use the search function above and just enter oil. Get a cuppajoe and settle down for a while. :)