Hydrofoil drill holes in cavitation plate? Good/bad?

02'Crownline

Cadet
On my 92' merc 40 it has no hydrofoil but it has the holes for the hydrofoil drilled into the cavitation plate. Is this bad? will it effect performace planing ect. I was told that it is bad but am uncertain so i wanted to double cheak thanks.

SeaHorse

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Hydrofoil drill holes in cavitation plate? Good/bad?

Fill them with JB Weld, sand, paint, they're gone.

02'Crownline

Cadet

thanks for the reply seahorse, but that didnt answer my question. i wanted to know if the holes in the plate were alright to have in and it didnt have an effect on engine performace or would it be better to fix them due to worse engine performance.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Does the motor ventilate now?<br /><br />I have raised my motor up until the AV plate is about 2" above the surface of the water, and it still does not ventilate.

CU2NITE

Petty Officer 1st Class

The holes shouldn't hurt your preformance, but removeing the hydrofoil will. You'll get much better proformance out of that 40 with it. I would get a new one and put it where the old one was. I've used them on a 40hp, 50hp, and my current 150hp. The cheapest best thing you can buy to enhance the proformance of any motor 150 or less. Good luck.<br />CU<br /><br />----------------------<br />RUNNING THE MOTOR WHILE LISTENING TO THE HORN WILL MAKE YOU MORN!!

LazyJ

Seaman

I'll let you know Monday. I patched the four holes on my '01 40 yesterday evening but I won't hit the water till Sunday. I know with the holes if I trim the motor in at full throttle I get four cool lil' roostertails.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I have the holes, and they have made no noticeable hinderance in performance.

02'Crownline

Cadet

ok thanks much guys i appreciate all of your replys but CU2NITE the boat that my 40 is on is only about 315 lbs and its a fisher V1667 utility row boat. the max hp recommended is 40 hp, so it plains in about 2 seconds easliy so i dont think a hydrofoil is needed. I am not looking for top end performance on this boat due to me not even being about to use it due to too much power for that type of boat IMO. when ever i am going half throttle (28 mph on GPS) and i gun it the boat will dive strait down into the water so i have to back off...so top end isnt a issue when i only can use half throttle.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

You wrote - "i gun it the boat will dive strait down into the water so i have to back off...so top end isnt a issue when i only can use half throttle." You do have an issue though in that your boat should not dive anywhere. Try moving the motor out a notch or two. This will bet the bow up when on a plane.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The holes shouldn't hurt your preformance, but removeing the hydrofoil will. You'll get much better proformance out of that 40 with it.
Ah?<br /><br />More surface area in the water, ie, more drag. The only boats that really benefit by having these things on are because they are way underpowered, over propped or overloaded. <br /><br />Chris.............

02'Crownline

Cadet

thanks for the replys guys... Achris, thats what i was thinking too because i know my little row boat isnt underpowered over proped or overloaded at all and plus the boats max hp is 40... and solittle... yea i do have a problem and fisher and the dealer that rigged the boat are horrible and they have lost all of my respect and business due to their lack of care and effort to satisfy a customer. i havent tryed moving the pin yet but am planing on going to this weekend. thanks