150 Mercury Carborator Problems?

maxleo

Recruit
I tried starting my motor after it was laid up for 6 - 9 months. It started but only in the "reved" up position. It would not idol. I noticed a stream of gas coming from the engine. It stream of gas would also occur when the motor was off and I pumped the fuel ball. I took off the cover(s) and noticed the fuel was coming from just one of the carborators. I'm thinking a stuck float. If this is the problem, are there any gas additives to try before bring the motor in for repair? Anything else I could try before bringing it to a mechanic?<br /><br />Thanks.

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: 150 Mercury Carborator Problems?

You need to go through the carbs, you can do it yourself if you are somewhat mechanically inclined in a day. Replace the needles and seats while your are at it, it will be more spendy, but you will have trouble free carbs for a few years more and thats your problem now. Very labor intensive so be prepared. $$$$

ronmold

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 150 Mercury Carborator Problems?

SeaFoam will disolve any varnish build-up in the carbs if it is that. Try a can in about 5 gal / gas. It may be some foreign matter in the needle/seat which will require disassembly & cleaning.