mercury 20hp 1968

Tomxx7

Cadet
The shafts are worn on my lower unit and I have been told new seals will not stop the leaks and will start leaking again over time. Light weight grease can be packed into the lower unit and will work, so I have been told. Would lubiplate 105 be a good choice for this? I know thats whats used in older gear boxes on outboards, say in the 1930s. Any thougths on this will be appreceiated. thanks,Tom

alcan

Commander
Re: mercury 20hp 1968

Tom, if this motor is worth using it is worth repairing correctly. Even when you run the 105 you need good seals. There are several options that my work. You may be able to install the new seals in a new position so they wear on new meat. You may be able to use speedy sleeves. You can have a mechine shop metalize and turn down the shafts to original spec's. You might have to scrounge up used shafts or a used L/U. There are many way to get an economic and sound repair. You will probably have to provide labor though. Here is another option, part out what you have left and make a down payment on a new motor.

btatum

Seaman Apprentice

i would seek a good machine shop and have them build up the area the seal rides in and machine it back into spec's. a good machinist shouldn't have a problem doing it. get your wallet ready though - it won't be cheap.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If you can steal thhe shafts out of a blown late 1970s 20hp, you'll have the benefit of Stainless steel surfaces...<br />- Scott