Flywheel and Belt

DDAADDYY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey there. Am I an idiot or is there a prescribed method on re-installing flywheel and timing belt? My 75 merc 650 has been through the ringer, I dropped it, just finished re-and-reing the powerhead to check for damage now I can't seem to get the flywheel back on without wrecking the belt. Do you put the belt on the flywheel before installing then feed it down or do you sort of place the belt around the alternator then drop flywheel onto it? I really don't want to do anymore damage to this thing and want a clear answer. Both Seloc and Mercury<br />service manuals don't say Thanks<br />Russ

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Flywheel and Belt

Find top-dead-center on #1. Set the flywheel on the top of the crankshaft and slip the timing belt on the pulley. As you keep light tension on the belt with your fingers, lower the flywheel back onto the crank. It may take a few tries. Make sure you're still at TDC. Align the nub on the bottom of the distributor pulley with the nub on the bracket and slip the timing belt on. That should get you well into the ballpark. Use a timing light to confirm the timing once it's up and running.