Unable to get Both forward and reverse

camax25

Recruit
I changed my impeller on my '82 402 Merc and after installing the lower end I'm unable to shift into reverse. Forward works fine. The actual shifter will not go into reverse. If I disconnect the linkage the shifter will then go<br />into reverse. It appears that the slide on which the cable attaches will only go so far but the cable wants to go farther. Do I have an adjustment problem? I purchased a Clymer manual for that year but there is nothing said about adjusting the cable. In fact there isn't much said about installing the lower end. Going crazy refuse to fish from shore!! Please help.

Merc805

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Unable to get Both forward and reverse

Firstly, I don't think an 82 would be a 402. After 1978 they were called by the HP. An 82(40hp) had 2 blue bands (light/dark) and white "Mercury" text. Anyway.. you need to drop the L/U again and put the shifter in neutral,then turn the Lower shift shaft (sticking out of the L/U) into neutral.Prop should spin freely both ways. There is a rod with a shift cam that pushes the locking horns over the locking bar on the transom. refer here...<br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=29;t=010967#000000