45 merc no spark

btatum

Seaman Apprentice
i have 25yrs experience in the automotive field and now about 2 weeks of afternoon experience in the outboard motor field.....HELP!!!<br />my 45 merc would loose power/rpms last weekend even when at full throttle the engine would run fine then drop rpms then stall. took me 3 hrs to get back to landing.300 yrds before i got there it would no longer restart(had to wait 15 min between restarts)i have found that there is no longer spark to the spark plugs. tested coils with ohm meter and they were ok. how can i ck the switch box . (the stator was replaced a year ago)

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 45 merc no spark

To test the switchbox you need something called a DVA voltmeter. But you can do simple ohms tests on the remaing components. If they check okay, it's the switchbox.<br /><br />But we can also eliminate a lot of possibilities based just on the information you provided. You tested the coils and that should eliminate them. They wouldn't all fail at the same time either, so we can definately rule them out. The triggers operate in pairs, so you have two. You can ohms check them, but it's also unlikely they'd both fail at the same time. So that should eliminate them.<br /><br />Next step is to eliminate the kill circuit. Find the black wire with the yellow stripe and disconnect it. Ohms check the harness side with the dead-man lanyard in place and the key on, there should be no continuity to ground. You should get full continuity with the key switch off or the lanyard removed. Next step would be to wing the motor over with the b/y wire still removed and check for spark. But since your problem is intermittent, I wouldn't rely on that test. What I would rely on is that if it stalls on you again and it runs when you disconnect that wire, then you can expect an intermittent problem in the key switch, lanyard switch, or harness.<br /><br />That leaves the stator and the switchbox. You can ohms check the stator. You'll need a manual for this. It could be bad even though it was recently replaced. If that tests good, replace the switchbox, but only after you've checked for good clean ground connections anywhere there is one. Hope this helps. Good luck.

srussell28

Seaman

I had the same issue. Would not start and no spark. Tracked everything down and It was the switch box, now it runs ok. Still not at top speed. I had mine shipped next day for 263.00 CDI.<br />Was back on the water later the next day.

btatum

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the info. as soon as i can i'll get back to it and see what i can find out. i have located a manual for the engine but it covers such a wide selection of years and engines. i am used to using manuals specific to certian years and models with cars (23 yrs with dealership)does mercury have this type of manual and if so who is the printer? the manual i have is by chilton and is difficult to read (must have been produced by a FORD engineer). the wiring diagrams and pictures are on a 3 cyl engine and is noted as the 4 cyl is very simular???? of the wiring i have identified there is only 2 wires that match the discription in the manual and thats the wiring leading into the stator.. thanks again

emckelvy

Commander

Seloc is a better manual and will have a wiring diagram and resistance tables that are specific to the model covered.