water in gear oil

obster

Recruit
I found some water in my gear oil and I was wondering if it could be a seal. Is this something that the average person could tackle or is it a job for the pro's. Appreciate the assistance.<br />thank you.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: water in gear oil

It's probably a bad seal. Could be a groove worn in a shaft from the seal. Most take special tools to disassemble, but some are replacable with common tools. It's best to replace all of the seals. One is leaking now, but replace that and the next worst one will start. All of the seals are just as old and just about as worn. What motor do you have?

Ben Konopacky

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you never did any maint.on this eng. i would change the L/U oil and replace the 2 gaskets (fill & vent) take it for a run ,check to see if H20 flows from pee tube.then re check to see if there is water in the L/U.if water is present,then a seal job is due, not too big of a deal if you have the patience to pull the seals out w/o disassembling the L/U .and while your at it re-do your pump .most likely the impeller will need to be replaced if it wasn't done inthe last few yrs.check the shaft seal serface.Good luck w/the eng.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

obster, I have found that the waterpump base seals seem to fail most often. The good news is that these are the easiest to replace. These seals consist of two seals between the water pump base and the drive shaft and a gasket and o-ring between the waterpump base and the gearcase. I recommend you purchase a waterpump base, and an impeller kit. Also get some instructions or a manual to assist your work. Install the waterpump base, impeller and the necessary gaskets and oring. If this fails to solve the problem, you may want a professional to replace the propshaft and shiftshaft seals

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Pressure and vacuum test the LU after draining the gear oil. Pressure must be < 15 psig. This can be done w/o dropping the LU. Pressure should hold for at least 20 to 30 minutes with some loss of pressure OK, but still should have some pressure at end of timed period. If there is loss of pressure, submerge LU to see where it's leaking and replace appropriate seal. Having a OEM mauual and parts list will be a big help. If you've never done these repairs, I would have a good shop do the work.

emckelvy

Commander

If you find your driveshaft (where the seal hits it) is chewed up/deteriorated, there is a stainless steel repair kit called a "speedi-sleeve" or "redi-sleeve" (just two mfr's examples) that can be pressed over the worn area to restore sealing surface. You'd need a vernier caliper or micrometer to measure the area so you can order the correct-sized sleeve.<br /><br />Most auto parts stores will have a catalog for this, or go to your local bearing specialty house.<br /><br />HTH.........ed