Most Under Rated 50HP OB - Another Dumb Question

Bob La Londe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm thinking about getting rid of my old Force 50 on the little boat and replacing it with a more modern outboard. I know that not all 50HP rated motors will develope exactly 50HP. So, whose motor is most under rated? I have enough weight in the boat that every pony under the cowling makes a difference.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Most Under Rated 50HP OB - Another Dumb Question

Hi Bob,<br /> If you're boat's max rating is higher than 50, why not go for a bigger motor?<br /> Regardless, I think you'll find any of the modern 50hp models will outpull your old Force...<br />- Scott

Bob La Londe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. The max rating is 50HP for this boat otherwise I would go up a size or two. I kind a figured that any newer motor would be faster, but still...

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander

Bob,<br /><br />Please remove the reference to your website in your signature line. The site references other sites that have items for sale that compete with iboats.

Mercathode

Petty Officer 1st Class

Chrysler/Force have the lowest ratings per ad power as anyone! Any good 35 of the same year will wax a Force 50!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don't completely agree with 4Winns. I doubt that even a modern 35 will outpull your 50.<br /><br />Your Force probably makes 42-44hp at the prop, so many 50hp made after mid-80s will be stronger because of being prop rated.<br /><br />A general rule for comparing actual performance on the water to hp ratings is cubic inches and type of scavenging.<br /><br />Example: A 50 ci. looper is likely to be a stronger performer overall than a 45 ci. cross scavenged engine, regardless of hp rating numbers.<br /><br />I am not up on displacements of 50hp rated engines, so I wont make a specific recommendation.<br /><br />Good luck. :)