Opinions about Seafoam

Crossflow235

Cadet
Was wondering if Seafoam works to keep motor from carbing up. Fresh new motor, only 11 hrs on rebuild, so there is no carbon (Yet)<br /><br />Could I use a can of this every other tank to prevent carbon build up? I am using synthetic blend oil.<br /><br />If it would work, would rather use Seafoam Vs Engine tuner. Fishermen hate it when you de-carb at the dock.<br /><br />Thanks for the input<br /><br />SRP71

bubbakat

Captain
Re: Opinions about Seafoam

I use seafoam on a regular basis to keep the carbon from building up.<br />It also works good as a fuel stablizer.

BillP

Captain

In my humble opinion...It takes 100s of hours for a poorly tuned engine to build up crud...and much longer if the motor is tuned and running right. Running products like that on a "fresh" motor is overkill. You're running solvent though the motor, even if it does have lube with it. If the solvent is going to break down crud it is going to break down other lubrication too.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Outboard Non-repair.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by BillP:<br /> In my humble opinion...It takes 100s of hours for a poorly tuned engine to build up crud...and much longer if the motor is tuned and running right. Running products like that on a "fresh" motor is overkill. You're running solvent though the motor, even if it does have lube with it. If the solvent is going to break down crud it is going to break down other lubrication too.
Geeeesss Bill, we agree on something else.<br /><br />Especially because you are using a good oil.<br /><br />After break in keep an eye on your plugs and make sure its not running rich, or maybe needs a hotter or colder plug. I use a full synthetic, and I have no need of a decarb.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Hey LubeDude, what kinda oil do ya use. :D

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> Hey LubeDude, what kinda oil do ya use. :D
Hey, I remember you, youre the kid that allways started a fight between two kids in school just to see a good fight. :p :p :p

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

In my opinion, probably the best thing you can do to keep buildup to a minimum is to not run it at low speeds like idling along or displacement speeds. If you do troll or idle along, a nice speed run helps to burn that off. I really feel that with todays fuel and oil, buildup is not the problem it was a few decades ago. No, I don't think you need to run Seafoam through constantly. Maybe once a season, depending on how much the boat is used...

LazyJ

Seaman

I'm a big believer in putting a pint in my '93 Ford diesel crankcase right before every 4th oil change. I took said truck to my trusted tranny shop recently to get solenoid valves replaced and he suggested dumping a quart in the E4OD and bringing it back the next day to flush it good and refill. Dang truck shifts crisp again. I may tell the wife to try it in the dishwasher and see if it'll cut that soapy film off out drinking glasses !!

AaronG

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try Tang in the dishwasher! :)