Removing & Re-installing Controls 3 Cyl 70 hp Merc

benz1

Recruit
I have read some of the posts on the iboats message board and I have looked through it to find the answers I am looking for I have 3 cylinder 70hp Merc outboard I am not sure of the year mid to late 80's I believe and am switching the motor to a new boat. The electrical wiring seems easy enough to remove and re-install with the proper care and labeling of all wires but I am a little stuck on the throttle controls and how and where to remove them, remote or engine side as well as the steering controls. And how do you remove them? Controls are QuickSilver? Also if you have any tips or insights to the best and easiest way to switch boats for this motor I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance. I know my details are not all that clear but I don't have the boat handy(3 hours away) to supply you the exact year and serial.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Removing & Re-installing Controls 3 Cyl 70 hp Merc

Personally, I would disconnect them from at the motor end.<br /><br />But first mark all the positions of any threaded connections to save you time in adjusting them when you re-attach.