hot telltale stream

usmcbucfan

Cadet
I was wondering how hot the telltale stream should be. When I have the motor on the muffs, it is pretty warm, but the other day I had the boat out on the lake and I had to adjust the trim (yes I had the motor running still, yes I know this probably wasn't the best idea.) Anyway, I got hit with the water in the shoulder and it literally burned me. I don't know if this is ok or not, since I was working it pretty good. Motor is 81 50hp merc. Thanks

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: hot telltale stream

You should be able to hold your hand in the tattletale stream forever with no problem. Getting burned from it is a sure sign of overheating. Replace the waterpump and thermostat pronto, before you run it again..

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Those things don't have thermostats. If it had just been run hard, then I'd expect it to be pretty hot. As long as it's peeing decently, it's okay.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

I have the same motor(1980) 50hp 4 cyl and after a hard run, the telltale is quite hot, but I can still hold my hand under it indefinately. If I leave it idling for a further 30 seconds the temp drops to warm. If you have a pressure gauge, it should be pumping 5-6 pounds at 5500 and about 3-4 at 4500. As Rick says, it should never be too hot to touch. If it gets that hot, you should change the impeller before it starts breaking up.

threecylinder

Seaman Apprentice

Not sure what they are supposed to run at temp wise, but I have a 74 merc 500 (50hp)4cylinder. When it has been running for awhile, I cannot hold my hand under it for more than ten sec. It is HOT. No steam, but it is hot. Show about 9 psi on the guage at 5300. The real test is to put your hand on the head and see how hot it is. Look for signs of overheating(scorched paint on head, engine slowing down or quiting, etc).