What is this fuse for?

michaelbr1

Seaman
Today, I discovered an inline fuse holder on the starboard side of one of my engines. The 20A fuse inside was blown. According to my parts manual, one end of the wire attaches to a terminal block, and the other end goes up into the wiring harness for the engine. I checked the other engine and found the same thing. The fuse was blown on that one too. What could these fuses go to? Lift motors work fine at engine and remote. Don't know what else it could be. :confused:

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: What is this fuse for?

We need to know what motors you have, please. Do the motors start and run? They might be for the charging system. Are your batteries going dead? On certain Mercs and Mariners made by Yamaha, the voltage regulators are fuse-protected in case you connect the batteries backwards.

michaelbr1

Seaman

Oops! I have my motors described in my signature, but it didn't show up. Sorry.<br /><br />They are 97 Merc 175 Carbureted, Oil Injection (removed)

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

It should be for your trim/tilt. The boat must've been wired so that the trim buttons only work with the key on, or they have a separate fuse somewhere. Those should still be tied into the trim switches on the motors themselves. I don't know why both woud be blown unless there's two shorts or a backfeed problem.