fitting outboard

supermotobaz

Cadet
i have recently purchased a second hand boat with out an engine i have got a 1981 mercury 50 for it has anybody got any advice on fitting this to my boat what do i need to do thanks

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: fitting outboard

Hi,<br />Some advice I have:<br />1. As a good starting point how the outboard should be mounted vertically You should have the anti-cavitation plate level with the bottom of the hull (lowest point of the V shape at the transom). <br />That is a safe height, too high and the greater risk the prop will not get god grip in the water. But You get better performance (speed) with the outboard mounted higher because of less water resistance (drag).<br />And the outboard also on centerline.<br />2. Bolts through the transom that will hold the outboard: nuts should be on outside (in direction from transom). Why? Because when You seal the bolts in transom (with for example "Sikaflex" or similar water resistant flexible removable sealing) You do not need to reseal in case You in the future need to take the outboard from transom (for whatever reason) or just experiment and raise the outboard height on transom.<br />Use two nuts on each bolt and loock them against each other. The bolt and nuts+washer should be stainless steel to prevent rust.<br />3. Make sure You mount the outboard 90 degrees to a parallel line across the boat. If not You will get a thrust that is not centered on the boat and it may get a tendency to pull to left or right (and You get a strange thrust direction when You turn also).<br />4. Try to get a nice curve of remote control cables (the stiff throttle cables). I remember when I changed to new cables and also rearranged how the cables reached the outboard, with better curves, the remote control lever was much more precise - the friction was controlled by the knob on the remote control as it should (and not by cables bending sharp like before).<br />5. If You transom is maybe little "soft" You may perhaps want some steel plate on back of transom to distribute the load when You tighten the bolts. There is such plates (probably aluminium) to buy if you should need it. At least the washers must be large in diameter to distribute load and to prevent the bolts to create craks in transom (gelcoat). One of the bolts that hold my Yamaha F115 in my boat cracked the gelcoat despite my boat is almost new (2003). So I have a large custom made stainless plate on both upper bolts (inside of transom) now, works fine and is now actually a better solution than it was before the crack developed.<br />6. A 50 hp -81 Mercury should be possible to handle by two persons to mount on the transom. Best is to use some small lifting crane and hang the outboard in that, this way it will be much easier and comfortable to do the work. I have once mounted a 65 hp Suzuki and 3 persons made it possible without any mecanical lifting device.<br /><br />I hope You get more advice by others also.<br /><br />Good luck!

supermotobaz

Cadet

so how do i set the hieght of the motor on the transom do i need to find the waterline or is there a special way to set the hieght of the motor

bossee

Hi,<br />The plate just above where the prop swings is named anti-cavitation plate. It should be level with the keel as described in p. 1 above in my first post.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

What size boat do you have and what is the maximum hp? A 50 hp on a 12'er is most likely a no go. Likewise if you mount a 50 hp on a 42'er with a 14' beam it won't make much difference where you mount it.

bossee

Hi,<br />Just check in Google on "shetland 535" and You will find that people using up tp 70 hp on this boat , one even has a 90 hp Yamaha 2-stroke:<br /> http://www.boatsandoutboards.com/view/F45953/ <br /><br />So 50 hp should be OK. It can't be overpowered then at least. If not heavy loaded 50 hp should get this boat on plane hopefully, with more load/persons on board more hp is probably wise. But since You have a 50 hp Mercury already You will have to hope it will be enough hp to get the boat on plane and maintain plane speed at a comfortable rpm.<br /><br />Here is more info:<br /> http://www.shetlandboats.co.uk/shetland535.htm <br />As You can see the boat is rated for up to 65 hp.<br /><br />Good luck!