A simple way to ID a 'looper' or a 'cross-flow'?

piniongear

Seaman
I have a 1978 Evinrude 140 model #140843C that I bought new in 1979. I see discussion about looper motors and cross-flow motors. I have no idea of what this is, but it seems that there may be two different designs of the same engine out there.<br /> Can someone explain the difference in design to me and also tell me how I might discover what type engine I have by simply viewing the engine from the outside.<br /> Thanks to anyone with a comment on this....piniongear

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: A simple way to ID a 'looper' or a 'cross-flow'?

I don't know about the outside, but by pulling the heads a cross-flow will have a sloped crown to the piston, very steep on one side (intake) and more gradual on the exhaust side. Loopers are generally flat-topped or slightly dome shaped. <br /><br />Your particular motor is a cross-flow - the looper V4s didn't come out until the mid 1980s.<br /><br />- Scott

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the cross flow motors have plates bolted on the outside of the block, I think 6 bolts per plate. called transfer port covers. the crossflow motors also have water jacket covers on the heads, the loopers have onepiece heads. the loopers use individual carb bodies and the cross flow uses 2v carbs. Hope that helps some.

KCLOST

Commander

My looper has water jacket covers on the heads...<br /><br />Or is this in regards to Evinrudes only?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Rudes & Johnnys were the same except for the paint in those years.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The 120 and 140 looper did not appear until 1985.

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer

V-4 loopers have a thermostat (and related nuts,bolts, hoses, etc...) at the upper edge of each cylinder head. Cross-flo V-4s have their thermostats in a "pocket" below the block at the bottom of the exhust plate!

james roach

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 1987 200 Johnson has single carb bodies and 1 piece heads. It has CROSSFLOW pistons in it.