2000 Mercury 225 EFI won't run for long.

MaddequetMako

Recruit
I have 2000 Mercury 225 EFI, serial number og944343. When I try to start it, it fires for about 3 seconds and dies. The only recent work I have done is changed the Water Seperator, Fuel Filter and the Spark Plugs. I started the boat after changing the Water Seperator. Two weeks later I went to start it and it would not go. I then changed the fuel filter, checked the screen in the vapor separator on the electric fuel pump (looked clean) and also disconnected the Black and yellow wire at the kill switch, in case it is somehow electrical. But it still will not start! -- Same problem, fires for about 3 seconds and dies.<br /><br />The other thing I noticed is that there is no pressure at the pressure relief valve unless the electric pump is running. I am not sure if that is normal or not.<br /><br />Any help will be greatly appreciated. Just want to get out and catch some fish :)<br /><br />Thanks in advance.

2springers26

Seaman
Re: 2000 Mercury 225 EFI won't run for long.

hook a fuel presure gauge to the relief port... see what you have i believe 36-38 psi should be seen with the key On or running... efi's burn fuel pump if they are run dry...( not pumping the ball before start up... fuel cools the pump) if you have NO t enough presure.. look @ the hi presure pump In the vst or the regulator... also make sure the primer ball & square mech fuel pump is updated.. or you will starve of fuel... all motors built before 2000 need the update if it has a square pump & old ball.......

durk1

Recruit
Re: 2000 Mercury 225 EFI won't run for long.

I have a '99 225 EFI that has ben stalling at high speeds and won't start again until I pump the ball. How do you tell if you need an update?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Keith