150hp Merc EFI not getting fuel

94Skeet

Cadet
I think I have a fuel pump issue. When I turn the key on, I can hear the pump click like it's trying to build pressure. It will click a few times then quit. Does this sound as it's bad or could it be clogged? If clogged where do I check for the blockage? I just got a new fuel/water separater and about to put that on to see.<br /><br />My theory is if the pump is bad, I wouldn't here it click when the key is on...right? Since pumps can be 300.00, I dont' want to change it out unless I am absolutely sure it is the culprit.

94Skeet

Cadet
Re: 150hp Merc EFI not getting fuel

Update: I replaced the Electronic Fuel Pump and now it is building pressure (by checked the pressure release valve near the top). The engine still will not turn over and fire. I re-routed the fuel link into an external tank and with the help of starter fluid being sprayed into the carbs, it does run. As long as it has the starter fluid, it will run. stop spraying fluid and it dies 20-30 seconds later....bad carbs that need a rebuild, and is there something I can do before rebuilding?<br /><br />The engine sat for about a year or 2 and had very little use before that so perhaps it's just gummed up and cleaner can be sprayed into them to clean? Help Please....I'm anxious to get back to the water now that my children are old enough to go with me.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I'm confused! An EFI with carbs?<br /><br />We need more information, like serial number or model year. If the motor isn't turning over, I'd think you had a Starter problem, not a Fuel Pump problem. If it's turning over and not starting you could have an Ignition problem that could be as simple as a Lanyard Kill Switch that is Off.<br /><br />But it runs with Starting Fluid. So I'd figure your starter is okay and you're getting spark.<br /><br />I'm confused! You can't rebuild a carb on an EFI because it doesn't have any. You must have an EFI if it has an Electric Fuel Pump and a spin-on fuel filter.<br /><br />I hate to say this, but I think you'd be wise to take it to a qualified service facility. You don't want to continue replacing expensive parts blindly. I'm a pretty good mechanic, but I don't know diddly about Automatic Transmissions. If I had a problem beyond changing the fluid and filter, even I'd take it to a pro...and have.<br /><br />Use caution when using Starting Fluid in a 2-stroke. There's no oil in it and it'll wash whatever oil you have right off and leave bare metal against bare metal. I use a squirt bottle with some premix in it instead.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I'd like to add that gas doesn't go bad in a closed EFI system. No oxygen to degrade it. You can get gumming at the tip of the injectors or inside the vapor separator tank because the gas is exposed to oxygen there. Also, some models will energize the electric fuel pump for 20 seconds when the key is turned on, other models wait until the key is moved to the Start position before the pump will run. That's one reason that it's important to post the model year or serial number.

94Skeet

Cadet

Sorry, my engine is a 87 Mercury EFI 2.5 xRI 150hp. You're right, no carbs, just the two cylinders behind the EFI unit (where I used the started fluid). I had no idea not to use this and after reading through posts will never do this again). I'm headed to Houston for a week on business, but upon returning, will check the ignition check points.<br /><br />Initially, it wouldn't turn over. The starter would bump and try and engage, then fall. Starter was rebuilt (new brushes) and now it works fine. <br /><br />When the key is turned, I hear the fuel pump for about 20-30 seconds, then quits -indicating the fule pressure is built up?? I didn't hear this before and replacing the unit fixed that.<br /><br />Like mentioned, if I sprayed the fluid in the 2 openings, it started right up - doesn't that rule out the ignition problem and point it back to fuel not getting in?<br /><br />I'd take it in to a shop, but the wife is already pissed on the cost - can't justify more $$$ right now unless I've exhausted all avenues.

94Skeet

Cadet

The engine now runs, but smokes very badly. I suspect too much oil and not concerned about that since I did premix the gas and the oil injection is still hooked up. (I plan to disable it and go premix this week).<br /><br />I am concerned though about oil/gas running out of the prop when the engine is tilted down. Is this a problem or unburnt fuel/oil? Also, what is recommendations for a gas treatment that will clean the fuel injection system? Will the regular stuff for cars/trucks work such as STP?

KCLOST

Commander

1987 EFI????? <br /><br />I've never owned an EFI motor, but when is the un-burnt fuel/oil running out of the prop? Is it when it's running, or after you run it? Also, it depends on "how much oil/gas is running out of the prop". If you see a lot of it exiting the prop when running, you may have an ignition problem...<br /><br />I'd perform a compression test on all the cylinders, and check the spark also (with a gap tester, following the directions)...<br /><br />Let us know..

2springers26

Seaman

had one in the shop a few weeks ago... doing the same thing.. first off.. rebuild the mechanical fuel pump.. if It failed it will flood # 4 cyl... second off.clean the needle & seat In the vst.. IF IT STICKS..IT FLOODS.. if the tstats are stuck open.. the motor will NOT heat up... If it runs to cold.. the ecm will stay in rich mode.. i beleive 110 deg.& lower the ecm will go to rich....