upgrade question

Waco

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am upgrading from a 1984 50hp mariner, to a 1992 75hp mariner. Will the wirng harness's match without modification? Also, my 50 has the older style tilt/trim, where the pump is inside the boat, and the rams are on the left and right sides of the motor. The 75hp has the newer style tilt/trim that is all contained on the motor itself. What kind of wiring changes will have to made here? Thanks in advance, its been quite sometime since Ive posted here. Oh yeah, I havent put my hands on the 75 yet, im going to pick it up saturday, but i would like to have everything handy "before" saturday, so I'll have all day sunday to try and make it work.

NathanY

Commander
Re: upgrade question

No they will not interchange without alot of wire changes. I suggest a manual with a wiring harness to both motors if you are wanting to try this. Its a pretty tedious job. Did the new motor come without controls? You might check ebay and see if you can find a good used set.

Waco

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I havent received the motor yet. He said there was nothing in the form of wires connected to the motor, for me to keep everything that i have presently attached to my motor (50hp)

Waco

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I stopped by a boat shop yesterday on the way home. They didnt drag out a manual, but one of the guys told me that if both motors were mariners, that everything should fit together, regardless of year or hp. Can anyone verify this?

NathanY

Commander

I am sorry, I made an assumption that I should have asked first. <br /> <br /> Does the the 50hp have the 7 or 8 pin plug?<br /> If it has the 8 pin plug then it will work.<br /> If not then it will not work without wire <br /> modifications. Both types of plugs where <br /> available in 84. Just count the pins and see.