slow hole shot behind 120 merc I/O

sabastianunf

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a lot of good questions about my 4 cyl 120 hp stern drive 18ft cuddy cabin. I say they are good questions because there seem to be alot of people with simmilar problems. So lets get started. Everything runs pretty good after putting a ton of work into this boat. However, a few things need to be tweaked. First of all when wakeboarding ect. I launch the boat at full throttle but I only hit @ 3200 rpms on launch, it takes a while to get up to speed especially the more people on the boat. Since everyting runs good my first though is to upgrade to an electronic ignition. My questions are 1)will this increase the rpms on the hole shot 2) will this increase my overall horse power and 3) would I be able to push a larger prop for better performance. My next question is the prop. I am currently running a 14.25x19pitch 3 blade. Would a bigger prop say 14.5x19piitch be a better option or should I look into a 4 blade or lower pitch and what size? Could the increased power from an electronic ignition solve my problem by itself? big thanks to all those who reply.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander
Re: slow hole shot behind 120 merc I/O

Before going to electronic ignition, when was the last time a tune up was done? Plugs, points, condenser, rotor and cap. If after a tune up your RPM's are still too low then I would go to a smaller pitch prop, as a rule of thumb the RPM's will change about 200 for every inch of pitch so if you go from a 19 down to a 15 your WOT RPM's could go up to 4000. I'm not sure what the book recommends for WOT RPM's for that engine but suspect it should be at 4200. I don't think the electronic ignition is going to give you too much in performance but easier starting and smoother running.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: slow hole shot behind 120 merc I/O

Moving to I/O