carbs

huber

Recruit
Good morning,could anyone tell me if there is an additive I can put in my fuel to clean my idle jets on my 2002 mercury 125.it sat over winter and wont idle.runs great otherwise.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: carbs

Probably not. If you have water in the carbs you will have to go in there and manually clean them. You could try seafoam in your gas. I believe that it will take some of the water out and burn it off

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Sea Therapy, I am not sure if a gumout-type product will give the results you desire. I would try this:<br />Mark the position of the idle adjustment screws on the carbs, and note the number of turn to tighten to lightly seated position. Save data for readjustment. Now remove the idle adjustment screws and the main jet cover bolts (or carb drain bolts)and spray the Gumout-type jet spray into the screw holes. The intent it to blow out the air and fuel passages, so give it a good shot. With luck the junk will exit the carb through the main jet. Reinstall the idle adjustment screws to original positions and hope the junk in the idle passages found indeed another way out.<br /><br />If this doesn't work, you gotta tear 'em down and soak 'en in solvent.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by sea therapy:<br /> Good morning,could anyone tell me if there is an additive I can put in my fuel to clean my idle jets on my 2002 mercury 125.it sat over winter and wont idle.runs great otherwise.
If the engine was not winterized properly, you might have to take the carbs off and clean them.<br /><br />They get varnish build up from the gas that was left in them.<br /><br />Always winterize the engine when done with it each year, will save you a lot of headaches come spring.

akendall

Cadet

You could try Mercury PowerTune which may be able to remove some light deposits. However, I agree with the others - if you still are experiencing fuel system problems after the PowerTune application, the best next step is to perform a full carb teardown and cleaning.