Do I need a Primer Bulb?

smokeyjoe 2

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1983 150 Hp Mercury with an electric fuel pump on the tank! I have read all these post about Primer Bulbs and was not sure if my set up needed one or not!! I would think not with an electric fuel pump just not sure!!I'm new to this boat ownership thing and I have alot of questions!! So thanks for any help!! :confused: :confused:

dboner

Cadet
Re: Do I need a Primer Bulb?

WITH THE SERIAL NUMBER, hOW THE MOTOR IS RUNNING WITH THAT ELECTRIC PUMP?

LubeDude

Admiral

You do not need a bulb with the electric pump. I have concidered doing this myself, what type pump do you have?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

DBoner.<br /><br />Please lose the CAPS LOCK. Caps are considered shouting on the web.<br /><br />Thanks. :)

smokeyjoe 2

Seaman Apprentice

It's hard to get started that's why I was asking about the primer bulb!! once it gets started it runs good!!

LubeDude

Admiral

Even though you have the electric pump, you will have to turn the ignition on for a few seconds for the pump to do what the bulb used to do. Should take about the count of five-ten. You should be able to hear when the fuel line is preasurized, then do your starting procedure. Do you have a fuel preasure regulator in the line somewhere, Im not sure what the preasure should be set at though, Im thinking 2-3 #s.