does it need to be charged,or charges on it's on

dennisrhall

Seaman
i have a 1967 65 hp. mercury, i unerstand it dont have a alt. should it be put on charge from time to time? what keeps it charged while running? i hope this is'nt a stupid question. newby boater, iboats is the only place i trust with my questions. love this site...................

dg-boater

Cadet
Re: does it need to be charged,or charges on it's on

I'm no expert, but I have a 1972 Merc 50 HP. My understanding is that there is a little charging occurring from the motor - but very little .<br /><br />If I recall, my manual suggests charging the battery between uses - I do that now.<br /><br />The first time out I ran my battery down by idling to long and using a trolling motor. The pull rope is useless for starting in this circumstance. Luckily, I got a jump and learned from the incident. I now have two batteries. One for the motor, the other for everything else (and acts as a backup if the battery were to die).<br /><br />I might add, I can't tell you for sure if the motor should have a deep-cycle battery or not. Either will work but I remember reading advice against them for some motors.<br /><br />Good luck