water in the fuel what now???

bobrock

Seaman
yep i neglected to replace or even clean out the fuel /water seperator and it went into the carbs....i have a 200 merc .. 1988 ..i replaced the seperator with clear bottom one so i can see if theres water.....and replaced the small filter just before the fuel line to the VRO.. could there still be water in the bulbs?? also i put water remover in the fuel and can at least get it to idle .... but .. now the fuel enrichment valve does not seem to be working ,, thats the primer or choke device i think.. <br />actually i know the valve works but the system is not spraying fuel into the carbs..all hoses to the valve are clear i can blow into em... stumped in NY

bobrock

Seaman
Re: water in the fuel what now???

Originally posted by bobrock:<br /> yep i neglected to replace or even clean out the fuel /water seperator and it went into the carbs....i have a 200 merc .. 1988 ..i replaced the seperator with clear bottom one so i can see if theres water.....and replaced the small filter just before the fuel line to the VRO.. could there still be water in the bulbs?? also i put water remover in the fuel and can at least get it to idle .... but .. now the fuel enrichment valve does not seem to be working ,, thats the primer or choke device i think.. <br />actually i know the valve works but the system is not spraying fuel into the carbs..all hoses to the valve are clear i can blow into em... stumped in NY
anything??

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: water in the fuel what now???

bobrock,<br /><br />The enricher doesn't spray fuel into the carbs. The fuel is sucked into the manifold when the engine is cranked. If it idles but can't accelerate then maybe you still have water in the carb bowls. On each side of each carb are large (relatively) plugs, with hex heads as well as a screwdriver slot. NOT the plug with only a screwdriver slot. Remove these (6) and the tubes off the enricher. Also remove the small diameter tube from the top of the middle carb to the top of the lower carb and blow it clear. Then pump fuel through the system. That should clean out the water in the carbs. Now put the carb plugs back in and plug the inlet tube from the enricher to the bottom of the top carb in, but not the 'outlet' of the enricher. Press the button on the enricher and watch till fuel comes out of the outlet tube (top carb needs to be full for this). This should have cleared the water out of the enricher. Now replace all tubes and when all the spilt fuel has been washed away or dried up, test run the engine.<br />Good luck.<br />One other thing, only OMC have VRO, Mercs have oil injection.<br /><br />Chris..........