mercury 115 trim/start fuse

nelson42

Recruit
I have a 2002 115 efi 4-stroke outboard. I recently hooked the battery up backward by mistake. I now have no trim/tilt or starting. I don't even have a clicking. I looked for a fuse but could not find one. <br />Is there some kind of fuse in the engine or have I killed something much more vital ?

Jons4rd

Cadet
Re: mercury 115 trim/start fuse

There is a fuse located inside the motor hood usually a 20 amp. I am having some problems with this fuse blowing also but not because of hooking a battery up backwards. good luck!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I hope I don't rain on your parade, but the fuse probably blew because with an alternator, half the rectifier diodes are connected straight to ground. If you reverse the polarity of the applied voltage (battery, jumper cables, charger....) there is no resistance in the circuit and you essentially have 12v/0 ohms = infinite current......the diodes don't like that.

If you are lucky the fuse beat the diodes. If not, you can expect to buy a new rectifier/regulator.

Mark

Jons4rd

Cadet

Texasmark is correct it could take a lot more than the fuse. The charging system is can be affected very easily... Good luck.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Texasmark is correct it could take a lot more than the fuse. The charging system is can be affected very easily... Good luck.

Shucks, got one right for a change! Was starting to doubt my capabilities.

Mark