my merc 650

propwash

Seaman Apprentice
HI GUY'S JUST HAD TO SHARE A PIC OF MY "68" MERCURY 650 FOUR THUNDERBOLT.<br />I sure love this motor ,hope she never dies.<br />i'll post more later.<br /> propwash.
f8b3118d.jpg

remmer38

Seaman
Re: my merc 650

ummmmmmmm..Pretty..........<br />Part 2. Paint the skeg. Tell tale to running.<br />Part 3. Looks like real good thorough work. She has that showroom finish. Catch 2 fish and a smile.<br />RE

talitje

Seaman Apprentice

Nice engine propwash ! Don't you just love the sound of that baby ? y know y would , while youre at it , might , share a couple of picture's from the engine without the coil (hood) for my collection<br />happy boating ;)

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by propwash:<br />[QB] HI GUY'S JUST HAD TO SHARE A PIC OF MY "68" MERCURY 650 FOUR THUNDERBOLT.<br />I sure love this motor ,hope she never dies.<br />i'll post more later.<br /> propwash.
I WANT IT! Spent my youth with a similar 650.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I had a 67' 650 and I really loved that old motor. Yours is a beauty... Brings back fond memories.. Take care on the fuel mix and it should run a long time. You may want to richen it up to 40:1 just to be sure. They do smoke a bit, but it's worth it. And without fail, change the waterpump every year..

propwash

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the comments guy's,heres a pic for ya Talitje.<br /> propwash
f8b20bc2.jpg

propwash

Seaman Apprentice

Just to fill you in on this motor,it was purchased brand new by my grandfather in "68",he pretty much used it every week at least once but but gave it more love and care than he did to my grandma i think LOL,Then in 95 my uncle got it and used it maybe once a year and did not take care of it than in 2001 i managed to get the whole works for 1000 bucks .and now its back to getting the TLC it deserves,I know my grandfather would be proud to see his motor still running strong,she's all original except the choke plunger which i replaced last year due to the broken cable.i'll have to have a full blown funeral when she dies.<br /> PROPWASH.

Mercury140-I6

Petty Officer 1st Class

You mean IF she dies. I started skiing behind a '67 650 and would love to have that motor and boat now. I currently have a 16' Glastron with a Merc 140. Here is a picture.<br /><br />
showphoto.php
<br /><br />Craig

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

I started skiing behind a Gale 5 hp because we were scared to ski behind the 64 650. Learned to barefoot behind a 68 1000. Yes, at one time I was light enough to ski behind a Gale 5 hp - and light enough, strong enough and crazy enough to barefoot behind the 100 - we thought it was funny to fall at full speed. I believe we wore life belts, not vests.