portable carport cover for a boat

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I am going to get one of those car port canopies to park my 17ft Mako under this winter.20ft by10ft.I saw what looked to be the same one at Pep boys and Kmart for about $99.Both are white and the framing is a wide white pipe.2-3 inch I would say.Not like some of the ones I have seen with about 1 inch galv. looking pipe.Any one have any pointers for me with choosing one of these.I am still going to put my trailerable Cabelas cover on it too.Charlie

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: portable carport cover for a boat

I find that it is good to reinforce these in certain places with nylon string or rope. Also, since these canopies will blow away in a small wind it is good to buy one that you can anchor as well as possible. At the very least I would use a good rope to anchor it to your boat trailer for the winter time...supposing you won't use your boat during the winter. It's definitely a good thing to also use your regular boat cover like you are planning. Mostly I just use mine to keep the snow, leaves, and heavy rains off of the cover and boat. It works well for this except for the tie-downs that came with it all wore out quickly and needed to be replaced.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

My plan was to put a couple of 4x4 posts in the ground flush with the ground surface and anchor the cover to those.Charlie

bayman

Sounds good. By anchoring the canopy in that manner, you can still pull the boat in and out without having to untie it. Maybe I'll do something like that this winter.

Tyme2fish

Commander

Where do you live? I checked your profile and you don't have it posted. Anyway, be very careful if you have high winds and or heavy snow in your area. These canopies have a special tag on them that say, "Not for use in winds or snow".<br /><br />Mine got bent very badly by some winds we had here in Indiana in the spring of 2005.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

T2F,it is pretty protected as far as winds and I know I will have to keep an eye on the swow issue.I was planning on maybe draping and taping some black 5 mil plastic sheeting over it for the 3 months that we get any concerning snowfall.Here on Long Island we are usually snow free until the holidays.Charlie

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42211 <br />$179 <br /><br />
42211.gif
<br /><br />Funny this site uses the same pic and sells them for $299<br /><br /> http://www.whiskey-rock.com/product/CP42211

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

A word of warning on these carport covers - Think twice if you live anywhere where there is a possibility of severe winds. These things are big sails stretched over poles. My neighbor has a 90 mph+ cat (twin merc 300s) that was damaged when the wind did a number on his cover. The damage comes from the bending of the poles. We are cleaning up the debris from Katrina and many of the debris piles by the side of the street have the poles (all bent-up) in a pile alongside of the trash.

bayman

Mine is made of steel but I still have to knock the snow off after each good storm. It's much easier than getting the snow off of a boat cover though. Very little snow gets on my boat cover because I use a canopy. My canopy is open at about 6'2". It only has a top and no sides. That way it is less prone to blowing away. With sides like this, I would be really concerned about how it could take the high winds.

tommays

Admiral

charlie <br /><br />i cant see the pep boys one makeing it through a long island winter it is a POS along with most of the other stuff they sell now<br /><br />to much wind and over nite snow storms and WAY TO MUCH WET SNOW<br /><br />they sell a good one at BJ's Wholesale Club thats closer to 250 but my friend has one and there is no comparison <br /><br />tommays

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I did not think it was a top quality car port but if I put the black plastic sheeting on it for the snow months,it should keep it pretty much snow free.Where I am putting it,wind should not be a big problem.Behind my high ranch house,half way it the woods.surrounded by trees.I guess I shouldnt expect it to last but I am not going to spend 2-300 on one.Charlie

rwidman

Lieutenant

I've seen corrugated metal "carports" that would be much better than what you're looking at but if you're balking at paying $300 you're probably not gonna pay the $800 or so for the metal one. :rolleyes:

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

Crazy Charlie,<br /> I'd be very surprised if K-Mart or Pep-Boys sell a canopy with 2-3" pipe, unless it's PVC.<br /> That black plastic sheeting ain't gonna do no good if you get a decent snow in the evening. By the time the sun comes up, those poles will have bent from the weight.<br /> Wind shouldn't be a problem. You're 4x4 idea is great, if you've got an easy way to dig the holes. Another option is to get a couple of those big corkscrews (that are used as pet leash anchors), and strap it down.<br /> Spend the extra money and get a decent one. I've seen them at Sams Club and Costco for just under $200.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Believe me guys,I never "cheap out" when it comes to my boats.Its just that its going to cost me close to $300 to shrinkwrap my big boat and I have been content covering my Mako with a $25 silver tarp,but I wanted a little more convienience to hop in it and do a little work over the winter.Its a big deterrant to untie the tie down ropes while your fingers are getting numb in the winter.As I said I am just looking for a little convienience.Charlie