Boats tying up

wmteich

Seaman Apprentice
What is the proper way to approach a boat to see if it is ok to tie up to it. On the lake I boat on boats are always tying up 2-30(or more) boats; so I was just curious how one goes about this. Also, any tips on tying to another boat? # of fenders out? Should you tie loose? tight? etc. Thanks in advance for your help.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Boats tying up

If you offer them beer, or have a bikini filled by someone worth looking at on board, they'll help you tie up real quick. :D You're just joining a party....there's no rules.<br /><br />Of course you'll want enough fenders to avoid damaging the other boat....two is usually plenty, and tie them together loose enough to be able to withstand a rogue wave, but tight enough to stay together.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.............<br /><br />Ya gotta get yourself Invited to the Party,........<br /><br />After That,....... Everybody will be Helping you tie-up............

QC

Supreme Mariner

This is what I do with those stupid, flippin' tubes when I'm sittin' still!!! They work great, tie up with one between the hulls. Otherwise fenders work like the others have said. I worry a lot about swimmers getting squished between boats though :eek: Inexperienced people don't think about how much force is going on between the boats when there is even a small wave working.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Keep hands and other body parts out of the space between the boats when tying up. Make sure your fenders are at a height where they will keep the boats apart. Don't try to tie the boats tightly together, allow for movement. And lookto see how the others do it.