Who uses a gasoline flowmeter....NEW INFO ON NAVMAN

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
...in lieu of a gas guage. And if so what can you tell me about it? With a tank the shape of mine ( flat on top, tapered on the bottom, 3" deep on the sides to 8" deep in the middle) gas guages are just about useless.

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Who uses a gasoline flowmeter....NEW INFO ON NAVMAN

Apparently, the combination of Mercury SmartCraft engine electronics and a Navman GPS works like a charm; with fuel consumption, range, temp and all other engine data displayed on the GPS screen.<br /><br /> http://www.navman.com/marine/products/smartcraft/ <br /><br />Also, from local boating fora over here, a lot of people seem to think that the Floscan system works really well.<br /><br /> http://www.floscan.com/html/index.asp

imported_scott_m

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a buddy who has a flowscan on his gas powered Viking - works like a charm, although with twin big blocks, the consumption rate is scary.

Major Woods

Petty Officer 1st Class

I installed a NavMan on my boat (26'WA 250hp motor). <br />The fuel usage mode is very accurate, last time out used 140 gallons on the gage. Topped off the boat the next day and put in 138 gallons to fill the tank.<br />The gph mode also helps with tweeking the trim to get the best possible mileage out of every trip.

mattttt25

Commander

my father in law has the yamaha gauges. work great, but it sucks when you take a short afternoon cruise and can quickly compute that is just cost you $80. it always did, but now it's in your face.

bigboy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Get another tank:) There is one off faria also. Nice design too

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Oooooooooouch! $479.00 for a basic Flowscan setup. Hmmmn, $29.00 for an inaccurate sending unit float replacement or $479.00 for a more accurate real time system? Tough choice.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

$479.00?.. which one you looking at?.. The cruisemaster 5500, the 7000, or the 9000?<br /><br />anywhoo... It's like anything, Boomer.. You get what you pay for....<br /><br />BTW.. The flowscan 5500 kit for a single inboard (32 gph gauge) should'nt cost you any more than $330.00 at the most expensive retailer on the west coast.... ;)

navigator336

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the dual floscan system. It is very accurate and definitely helps you dial in the trim and rpm for best (least worst) gas mileage.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by snapperbait:<br /> $479.00?.. which one you looking at?.. The cruisemaster 5500, the 7000, or the 9000?<br />
It was the CM 5500 on the link that Stevens posted above SB. I like the flowscan guage because it would fit right in the dash in place of the current gas guage. I might even be able to use the same wire that goes back to the sending unit. I also like the analog guage for the flow rate. Might have something to do with my age, huh? :p <br /><br />I'll also check out the Navman on Iboats. Not sure if the link that Aldo posted is for the stand alone unit.<br /><br />ZmOz, that is cute but it wouldn't do me very good back under the engine cover with 6 people and toys in the boat.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

$266.15 (out of stock, go figure) in iboats mega mall....<br /><br />nuttin wrong with analog... I prefer it myself.. Digital jobby-do's don't do so well in the sun...<br /><br />Just remember to figure in the cost of a toggle switch to re-set the total fuel used readout..<br /><br />(edit).. You'll need a piece of tri-plex wire, or three wires to connect the flow sensor to the gauge..

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by snapperbait:<br /> (edit).. You'll need a piece of tri-plex wire, or three wires to connect the flow sensor to the gauge..
Uh Huh! More wires to confuse my aleady worthless Humminbird Depth finder. :rolleyes: <br /><br />Definitly need the resetable feature. Now if I could just find a standard 2" guage for hours with a resetable 'trip' recorder.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

This brings me to another question. Floscan apparently says that the choice of guage should be approximately 10% of horse power. For me I would guess that to be about 0-24 gph.<br /><br />Now that sounds real high but I have no real way to know what my peak fuel flow rate has been or is currently. All I know is that historically with the 302 w/ 2bbl, I could go out and play for about 6 hours on 15 gallons of gas. That of course was before the current 4 bbl and with a lot of starting, hi throttle pulling, a few bursts of full speed, a lot of 3000+ rpm cruising, some motor off while retrieving skiiers and tubers, the whole gamut.<br /><br />What do you think a fully loaded 20' medium weight runabout with a 302 roller cam motor with 4 bbl would use per hour at maximum??<br /><br />There is a 32 gph Floscan up for auction on on ebay. The guy claims it was way over scale for his boat so he bought a lower scale unit. He does not say what that boat was.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

What you need to do is figure your actual engine's HP, and then divide by 10...<br /><br />If your over 200 HP, which I'd suspect you are, go with the 32 gph meter...

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by snapperbait:<br /> ... go with the 32 gph meter...
That might scare me too much snapperbait. :p

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Bryant, Boater's world does not seem to carry them at this point. But I did find them for $156. shipped. I like this system as it uses a 2" guage. It would be easy to trade guages and not have to make a big deal about rearrainging my dash.<br /><br />What motor do you have in your boat and what is the minimum GPH that you experience? 1.4 GPH (minimum flow registry) seems a bit higher than what even a V8 would use at idle.

bryantjb3

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Boomyal<br />I have a 5.7l 220 hp. Just got my log out and at 600rpm I show .7 gph. I cruise at 3200 28mph and about 10.5gph. I do see a variance with water conditions, but the total gallons burned are very close to what I replace at the pump. I also added an automotive gas filter before the fuel sensor. I used a Purolator F 33165. Hope it works out good for you to.<br /> JB