hand waste pump

Ron Everson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Since it's illegal to even have a working macerator/pumpout system on your waste tank on Lake Powell and worth a big fine, I don't want to fix the one on my boat to make it work (there is a macaerator on top of the waste tank, but I've not been able to locate the switch - so I'm assuming it was removed). NPS has many pumpout facilities at Powell, so I can empty the tank before I head for home. I still need to be able to pump out the waste tank after camping at McPhee Reservoir where there is only a trailer dump. Anyone know of a hand pump that can be used to pump out the waste tank and where I could find one? Any advice would be appreciated.

Ron Everson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: hand waste pump

I'm thinking it would have to be a diaphragm pump of some sort. A 12 volt pump would be nice.

rwidman

Lieutenant

You can buy an electric macerator pump and some PVC fittings to adapt it (temporarily) to your deck pumpout fitting. Use a cigarette lighter plug and some #10 wire for power and a length of hose from the output of the macerator pump to the sewer "dump". The macerator pump may have trouble priming itself depending on the rise from your holding tank to the deck fitting. If so, pump some clean water through it to get it started. This is the pump you need:<br /> http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cg...cerator&**********=24256831&*******=283657319 <br /><br />I constructed this setup a couple of years ago because where I was boating, the pumpout wasn't reliably working at all times. Now that I've moved, pumpouts are few and far between. I added a line to my home plumbing for pumping out the boat.

Ron Everson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info, Ron. The link didn't work, but I'm assuming you're pointing to the Johnson macerator pump at the top of the list. While cleaning out the boat in preparation for a trip to Lake Powell this weekend, I discovered the switch to the existing macerator pumpout system hidden in a storage compartment in the head. It's live, but won't know if it will pump until I can hook a hose up to the outlet. Your solution sounds good if my existing system won't work. We would love to be able to use the head on our camping trips on the local lakes where there are no pumpouts.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Yes, that's the one. The link works for me but apparently it's cached.<br /><br />Your boat probably has an outlet from the macerator that discharges into the water (a thru-hull and probably below the waterline) and another outlet with a screw cover labelled "waste" on the deck somewhere for use at pumpout stations. There will be a "Y" valve to direct the waste to the appropriate outlet. Wiring the valve in the position to disable the overboard discharge or removing the handle ususally satisfies the legal requirement for no-discharge zones.<br /><br />The pump mentioned will screw directly into your deck pumpout fitting but invariably something will be in the way. Also, it will be tough screwing it in with several feet of discharge hose attached to it. I went to the home center and got a PVC fitting that screws into the deck fitting and another that screws onto the pump and slips into the fitting screwed into the deck.