Mariner 50hp issues

dhardin

Recruit
Have an 86 50hp Mariner, 3 cyl, 2 carbs. Motor would start, idle fine but bog down when trying to accelerate. Got carbs rebuilt 1 year ago.<br /><br />Shop said carbs needed to be rebuilt again. Just couldn't part with the $$ so I thought I would try myself - experience is nill. Got the carbs out and soaked all parts in carb cleaner (B-12). Put back together and tried runner motor with ears on motor.<br /><br />Symptoms: Engine is running rough (missing) and white smoke coming out. Gas leaking from carbs Won't idle without stalling unless I give it gas. (It was idling fine before I pulled carbs)<br /><br />I ordered a manuel but not in yet.<br /><br />Questions:<br />1. The only screw on the carbs I see to adjust is needle screw (that has the spring on it). I assume this is idle screw. How is this adjusted - 1 1/2 turns out?<br />2. I keep hearing talk of adjusting the floats. What is this about?<br />3. How important is it to get carb kit and rebuild if all parts were cleaned thoroughly and looked clean?<br />4. Is it ok to run motor at high rpm with ears on motor? If so, should I expect to be able to get motor rev'd up just like in the water?<br /><br />Anything would help.

Greg New Zealand

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Mariner 50hp issues

Welcome Drew<br /><br />Don't do anything else until you receive the manual. Read it and get to know what your carbs are about-then come back and ask questions.<br /><br />Keep your rpms below 1200 on the muffs. Higher rpms are only safe when the motor is under load.<br /><br />Greg

randycc58

Seaman
Re: Mariner 50hp issues

greg has given good advice on the manual. sounds like when you pulled the carbs apart you didn't get something right during the process. teh overflowing suggest to (me). that you have a stuck needle or a float problem. rebuild kits aren't all that expensive when you weigh the cost of buying another engine by trying the quick fix's